Anyone else have a 'Molter' right now?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sticksoup, Sep 17, 2010.

1. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    My 1 year old BO is going through her first molt. I suppose everywhere else in the country this would probably be the time for molting- but where I live it's still summer hot so it seems a bit odd. None of my other chickens are molting. She's pretty crabby about the molt- she insists on being called Princess (Princess Sunshine) because she is the beauty of the coop and now she's the ugly duckling.

2. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My Houdan - 1.5yo - just went through her first full moult <feathers everywhere!!!> and has grown back most of her feathers except her beard & tail.
    She went broody at the end of June and just came out of it a couple weeks ago.
    She started moulting right after that.

I'm thrilled because the rest of the flock pecked her bald-headed over the Winter and I was afraid she'd never get her crest back.

Oddly none of the others - Delawares & Black Stars - have lost any significant amount of feathers yet.
    One or two had bald bellies for a while (sympathetic broodiness?) but those are mostly grown back.

We're getting some chilly nights here & I hate to think of them being nekkid in that weather.
    But I guess Mom Nature knows best.

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles &amp; Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I have a plethora of d'Uccles all shedding at once. Millie and lavender feathers everywhere!
    If you pick up a bird she has porcupine-looking skin!

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I have had at least a few molting since June. Some do it in the summer, some fall, and then there are the idiots that wait till winter.

Matt

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I don't have a "molter" right now. I have SIXTEEN crabby, grumpy, ill-natured, non-laying, ugly, featherless vultures. All of whom are eating enough food for an Army platoon. [​IMG]

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles &amp; Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:I took mine some scraps from a roast the other day and thought I'd lose a finger!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, that would be my flock a week ago. Thankfully they are molting rather quickly this time and my egg production is going back up (right after I bought 2 dozen store bought eggs I might add!) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by