1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone else have chicken escape artists?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RookieFlock, Nov 18, 2016.

1. RookieFlock

RookieFlock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016
    Michigan
    So, a few times now I've closed my chickens up for the night only to find when I go outside to let them out in the morning they've already managed to slide their coop door open themselves and are already out happily pecking around. Anyone else experience this? My coop is just a standard one you'd pick up at a feed store, and the door slides from side to side rather than up and down. Typically I'm out there maybe 10-15 minutes after sunrise.

Makes me almost not want to waste my time closing the coop door at night...if it's easy enough a chicken can open, what would stop a predator? (although I'm not overly worried about predators at this point...they sleep in the coop which has an attached, enclosed run...and it all sits inside of a fenced garden that has buried wire and 6+ foot walls)

2. WaterWindStone

WaterWindStone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2015
    If your birds are getting out by themselves, that means predators can get in at night. You need to safety up your coop I suspect. You can keep the door locked from the outside by either installing a lock or even putting a prop bar between the sliding door and the edge of the coop...that way the door can't slide open when the bar is installed.

3. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I'd install a barrel latch on it

[​IMG]

4. Rickovo

Rickovo Out Of The Brooder

If your run security is predator proof then you can leave the coop door open. But, obviously, it does have to be completely trustworthy as an outer boundary (as far as that can ever be said.) Also that's if it isn’t so cold that they need the door shut but as long as its not facing into the wind that would be very cold indeed.
    As predators can get in and take a hen in daylight then I think the outer boundary of a run is the best place to put your efforts if possible. If not then, I agree, its lock the coop.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Need to put a lock on the pop door.

6. Rickovo

Personally - If they get through all that then they wouldn’t bother with the door, just chew through the side of the coop!

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  8. Rickovo

Sorry aart - but then a lock on the door (of unknown material) wont do much either.

No we don’t have raccoons, or honey badgers. There has to be a sensible limit or there would be no chickens left already :)

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by