Anyone else have chicken escape artists?

RookieFlock

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2016
Michigan
So, a few times now I've closed my chickens up for the night only to find when I go outside to let them out in the morning they've already managed to slide their coop door open themselves and are already out happily pecking around. Anyone else experience this? My coop is just a standard one you'd pick up at a feed store, and the door slides from side to side rather than up and down. Typically I'm out there maybe 10-15 minutes after sunrise.

Makes me almost not want to waste my time closing the coop door at night...if it's easy enough a chicken can open, what would stop a predator? (although I'm not overly worried about predators at this point...they sleep in the coop which has an attached, enclosed run...and it all sits inside of a fenced garden that has buried wire and 6+ foot walls)

If your birds are getting out by themselves, that means predators can get in at night. You need to safety up your coop I suspect. You can keep the door locked from the outside by either installing a lock or even putting a prop bar between the sliding door and the edge of the coop...that way the door can't slide open when the bar is installed.

I'd install a barrel latch on it

038613348943.jpg

If your run security is predator proof then you can leave the coop door open. But, obviously, it does have to be completely trustworthy as an outer boundary (as far as that can ever be said.) Also that's if it isn’t so cold that they need the door shut but as long as its not facing into the wind that would be very cold indeed.
As predators can get in and take a hen in daylight then I think the outer boundary of a run is the best place to put your efforts if possible. If not then, I agree, its lock the coop.

6 foot wall nothing for a coon(I know y'all don't have those over there)......
......either would chewing thru a typical feed store coop wall, or lifting the nest cover..

Sorry aart - but then a lock on the door (of unknown material) wont do much either.

No we don’t have raccoons, or honey badgers. There has to be a sensible limit or there would be no chickens left already :)

Back
Top Bottom