Anyone else have chickens that hate the color RED??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PamB, Dec 10, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    My chickens HATE red! If I put a tomato in the run, they go spastic and are petrified. One day, I forgot about this odd behavior and put their food in a Folger's plastic coffee container...it was red!! I didn't realize until the afternoon, that they had been avoiding going anywhere near that container all day! (No worries...they always have two separate food sources available). When I picked it up to remove it from the run, they all started flapping around and carrying on, running/hiding, etc. It is just so strange.

2. WhoopiePie

WhoopiePie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Queens, NY
    weird! my chickens will eat the pieces of red tomato FIRST before eating the rest of their treat (cooked grains and lentils usually). i wear a red sweatshirt quite often to tend to them or clean their coop so maybe they have been jaded by that....?

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    My chickens are red.

4. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    one of my former chickens once pecked at Kate Spade's red toenails.

5. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    If I wear sox that have red in them, they'll peck @ my ankles! Ouchy!

6. banks

banks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine dont seem to mind the color red. In fact I have to be on the look out when I have sandals on and red polish on my toes or even when my hands are lax by my side. The little buggers will start pecking away.

7. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Not my chickens but my geese will bite anyone who is wearing red.

8. Lurken Turken

Lurken Turken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Acampo
    They go after my tatoo on my leg that has red in it.[​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Odd. The bases of most of the chick waterers I've used have been red, as are those of some strategically placed, larger waterers in the yard. (I put those out after a broody-raised chick fell into the ducks' kiddie pool and drowned on a hot day.)

With that said, I can report that my dominant roo absolutely hates my red Crocs, and the long skirt with a red bottom panel/hem. He becomes fixated on them and gets very antsy, so I get out of those immediately upon getting home from work when I wear either/both of them.

Since the flock greets me in the ftont yard when I get out of the car, it makes the few steps to the front door rather interesting. If I walk fast, it's worse, but if I walk slowly, the mob o'chickens impede my progress.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  10. I think most chickens are neurotic. This just proves it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by