Anyone else have chicks shipping this week?

prizma

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 10, 2012
I am so super excited!! I ordered some silkies and some other assorted feather footed bantams from My Pet Chicken and they are shipping this week! I've been waiting months for them!! I've ordered from them before, but this is my first time getting banties and can't wait to see the silkies and to see what ones come in the assorted batch! :)
Anyone else have babies they are expecting this week?

Last edited:
YES WED or TH am very nervous! FIRST TIME FOR DAY OLDS and havent heard anything about CA hatchery but they were local so thought the chicks would survive better coming from only 60 miles away.... We ve been practicing on a few 4 week olds (we got them at 3 weeks) so feel alittle less than complete novices... But a "big" batch of 15 feels daunting!
Also what if they sit at the PO overnite for some reason?The Hatchery told me to expect them either the 11th or 12th why 2 days? they shouldnt take 2 days to ship! Ahhhhh I am a nervous wreck I want my new babies here safe and sound....

Since your ordered from a hatchery so close to you, I would think they would come Wednesday then. Mine should be coming today or tomorrow and this waiting stuff is so hard!! lol.
You will do fine with the day olds, you know what to do since you've already been practicing with the 4 week olds! Only thing I would add would to really watch the newbies for pasty butt, especially the first week. After that, it shouldn't really be an issue anymore. :) Let me know when yours come!!

Since your ordered from a hatchery so close to you, I would think they would come Wednesday then. Mine should be coming today or tomorrow and this waiting stuff is so hard!! lol.
You will do fine with the day olds, you know what to do since you've already been practicing with the 4 week olds! Only thing I would add would to really watch the newbies for pasty butt, especially the first week. After that, it shouldn't really be an issue anymore. :) Let me know when yours come!!

Thanks for reassurance! I am really excited as well, need to stop by Tractor supply on the way home for a few last minute things-- like more chick grit (I had heard of the infamous pasty butt and have been keeping a pan of it out for my other chicks-- I am bad about getting rid of left overs by feeding them to the birds) and a small waterer for the Brooder....
Banties and silikes sound too cute-- post pictures when your little ones come... Lucky you today or tommmorrow!

Good luck on your babies. I will be curious to hear about your experience. I have 4 babies coming from My Pet Chicken next week.

Prizma, make sure you post pics when they arrive! Our 4 silkies from MPC are now 4 weeks old and getting pretty fluffy. They do look pretty different from each other and are not all super-fluff like breeder quality birds, but they're good enough for us! We are loving the cottonball tails.

We placed an order with My Pet Chicken, as well. Our second try. We'd placed an order with them last year, and our first group of babies arrived alive and well.

Our chicks arrived today, dead. I'm VERY sad and disappointed. For some reason they shipped from Connecticut to Ohio (in the blazing heat) to my home in New Hampshire.

I hope you have better luck than we did.

Wow. Sorry to hear about your awful chick arrival. Did they really go back and forth? I thought at first that there was a CT address involved in our shipping, but realized they just have to put that address on the shipping label because MPC (the responsible company) is in CT. From talking to them, they don't hatch or ship any animals in CT - it's just offices. They come from Meyer's facilities in Ohio - that address was on the box too.

I think at this time of year it's very dicey with a lot of overheating potential. Kind of like in January/February, when so many freeze. Did you talk to them yet? Are you going to try to ship again?

I wish there were more hatcheries that were local and allowed pick-up. We hated the stress of shipping them and got lucky, as you seem to have last year. I'm worried if we try it again we'll end up with some chick loss, which I imagine is pretty devastating. I'm thinking May or April might be safer if we have to do it again, but hopefully our 7 are all girls and stay healthy so we won't have to.

Back
Top Bottom