I know it's early but....Who's ready for 2024 Baby Chicks!

1000006799.jpg

They are about 5 weeks old here. Mostly these are the Sapphire Gems, they are very bold and confident. The little white/red one is one of the Eggers and the light grey one may also be. Not sure, I know one of the Eggers is disguised as a Gem!

1000006843.jpg

This is Trudy. I'm pretty sure she's a Prairie Bluebell Egger. She's much darker than the six Sapphire Gems, who all look like this:

1000006834.jpg

Then there's Winnie, another Egger. She's a very light grey (lavender?) bird, who I'm calling Winnie. She's very stand-offish and flighty; I'm thinking mom was a white Leghorn.. I think she's beautiful.

1000006837.jpg

I apologize for the bad photography, they never stand still, lol!

Two of the Eggers are brown partridge, like Brown Leghorn in appearance, and the fifth looks like she might have some Salmon Faverolle in her. None have whiskers, beards, or muffs, which is a bit of a disappointment to me.

So I have six Gems and five Eggers, and they are their own little mob flock. They all hang together very tightly, and they RUN everywhere they go! They don't just run on their feet, they flap their wings as if the devil is after them! They make me smile! They follow me everywhere I go. I've never had a flock be so attached to me, so of course I just think they are all very special.

They are about 14 weeks old now so I may start getting eggs soon. Oh, and they are quite bold. One of the cats likes to supervise everything that happens on the "ranch," but these girls will chase her off! No mere cat is going to steal a kernel of THEIR corn, nosirree! 🤣

Attachments

• 1000006851.jpg
    1000006851.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Oh .. so I haven't named the Gems, I can't tell them apart. But the Eggers are, Thing One and Thing Two (the two partridge ones), Winnie and Trudy as introduced above, and Spook, the Faverolle, because she started out white.

Back
Top Bottom