I know it's early but....Who's ready for 2024 Baby Chicks!

Oh dear, I forgot all about this thread! Well, my second shipment of chicks arrived just fine. I only lost one little EE.

Here they are early on:

1000003794.jpg

I got six Sapphire Gems and six Prairie Bluebell Eggers. The Gems will be pretty blue birds but lay brown eggs; the Eggers are supposed to lay pretty blue (not green) eggs.

Here they are more recently, in their outdoor brooder:

1000003339.jpg

I'm hoping thst guy standing up in the middle looking all cocky, isn't in fact a cockerel ... I laugh at how fuzzy their little heads are. They're five weeks old here.

I think I ordered my baby chicks back in August or something, for March delivery. And then I got the itch to incubate, and of course not enough hatched the first time, so I had to do it twice. Now I have 6 Ginger Broilers for eating and 7 Whiting True Blues for sale. It was a fun experiment, enough to know I should try incubating a different breed of meatbird if I want decent fertility and egglaying. But the chicks were so cute!!!

I've candled the eggs and as expected all of the eggs from the White Giant x Cornish Cross are not fertile. Enough are for some research maybe. Enough of the silkie eggs are showing good promise of hatching should give us the broody mamas that we need.

17 eggs go into lockdown later this morning. 7 silkie and 10 full size eggs from a mix of Dark Cornish and White Giant x Cornish Cross meat birds.

Oh dear, I forgot all about this thread! Well, my second shipment of chicks arrived just fine. I only lost one little EE.

Here they are early on:

View attachment 3719852

I got six Sapphire Gems and six Prairie Bluebell Eggers. The Gems will be pretty blue birds but lay brown eggs; the Eggers are supposed to lay pretty blue (not green) eggs.

Here they are more recently, in their outdoor brooder:

View attachment 3719854

I'm hoping thst guy standing up in the middle looking all cocky, isn't in fact a cockerel ... I laugh at how fuzzy their little heads are. They're five weeks old here.
Lovely! You have a nice variety of chicks.
We are looking forward to warm weather so I can get the grow out pen started for the new little ones. Keep us posted as your chicks grow, would love to see what colors you end up with on the EE's.

We are getting 2 black ameraucana, 2 easter eggers, 2 blue copper marans, 2 golden cuckoo marans, 2 black copper marans and two olive eggers. I should be getting them next week from Meyer's and excited to see them :). Good luck with yours!
Would love to see some pics when they arrive and when they grow up too!
Nice assortment.

Back
Top Bottom