Anyone else have 'helpful' 'knowledgable' family members?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Guitartists, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

Ok, sure, my Grandpa had chickens..... he got a bunch free with the purchase of a bag of feed and figured 'why not'. He never could bring himself to butcher any and according to my mother, they just either eventually died of old age or disappeared. That's it.... that's the extent of my mother's chicken rearing.. LOL

YET...... she is CONSTANTLY sharing her chicken 'knowledge' with me... whether I want it or not. The most recent was last night when she called me up to tell me that the design her husband and I came up with for nest boxes wasn't adequate because 6 nest boxes is not enough for all of the chickens to sleep in! [​IMG] I could hear him in the background trying to call her off... LOL She was very adamant that I needed at least one nest box per hen so they had a place to sleep [​IMG]

LOL

What can you do?

So who else has chickenless chicken experts in the family? [​IMG]

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Tell them thank you for their idea. Make sure it sounds genuine. And that you'll see what you can do to incorporate it into what you are doing. then back to regularly scheduled programming, lol.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    The best is my mom and my FIL... both of which do NOT have chickens keep insisting that without a heated coop my chickens are going to die! [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

One of my SILs know everything about everything.....even tho a lot of the time she doesn't have a clue what she's talking about. I gave up trying to deal with her years ago. Since both of my inlaws are gone now I very rarely have to see her.

5. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I'm the acknowledged chicken know-it-all in my family. I'm sure I can get insufferable at times, but most of the time I'm just quoting something I read on BYC. I blame BYC for any falling out I may have with my family over chickens . . . before finding this site I was much too timid to voice my opinions on chickens or their care.

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

my 6 year old daughter,,,,, she knows EVERYTHING [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Sounds like your mom wants to be included somehow in your chicken hobby, or to be included more in your life, and chickens is the way for her to accomplish that (even though it annoys the crud out of you).

8. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    My sister on child raising. When she still isnt yet a mom.
    She feels she is qualified because she teaches 4 grade.[​IMG]

I can not wait for her to have my neice/nephew and to be calling me for help at god awful hours with the baby screaming in the back ground. Her perfect, neat and orderly world is going to come grinding to a halt:lol:

9. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I am... and I'm always right, even when I'm wrong...but I can say so and I do...[​IMG] I was raised to be a perfect lady and be seen, not heard and now I've learned to talk and am doing what I want to do, no one can stop me now, I'm on a roll...YAHOO!

And I changed my 3rd son's thinking he hated chickens, he LOVES Chicken TV, especially when I started out and was chasing chickens all summer who couldn't wait for me to come out of the house in the mornings so the young pullets would fly over the fence and come to the door or halfway to the deck to greet me...

Once we got our system down, it was fine but before that...he had a good 45 minutes of hilarious chicken tv and I bet his face hurt smiling... my DD just says: um hum, um hum, um hum...pretending to listen to all my "interesting" stuff I've got to tell about the chickens while her DH just smiles...

10. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    My MIL insisted I'd have to get a rooster if I wanted eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by