Anyone else have picky eaters?

Ours are picky about the form of the food. Most healthy treats. Diced yes. Large slice or just whole form nope. (Aside from tomatoes they swarm). Now any junk food treats whether diced are whole they go bonkers over. Specially our geese lol.

We would love to switch over to pellet form rather than crumble but we've gave them pellets for a few days before that we got from a family member because we ran out and the birds wanted nothing to do with it.. I don't think cold turkey switch is an option at all lol.
That's so funny. Mine hate the diced, can only be whole.

If you still want to get them on pellets, try putting them in one of those Lixit treat balls. That makes it kind of a fun, novelty thing that they have to work for. They might be more accepting of a transition later on after having some familiarity with it.

That's so funny. Mine hate the diced, can only be whole.

If you still want to get them on pellets, try putting them in one of those Lixit treat balls. That makes it kind of a fun, novelty thing that they have to work for. They might be more accepting of a transition later on after having some familiarity with it.
Its soo weird how they different their level of pickiness XD. Carrots were the worst to prepare. Couldnt be shredded had to be diced.

Ours are picky about the form of the food. Most healthy treats. Diced yes. Large slice or just whole form nope. (Aside from tomatoes they swarm). Now any junk food treats whether diced are whole they go bonkers over. Specially our geese lol.

We would love to switch over to pellet form rather than crumble but we've gave them pellets for a few days before that we got from a family member because we ran out and the birds wanted nothing to do with it.. I don't think cold turkey switch is an option at all lol.
The silkies have to stay on crumbles as the smaller ones have issues with the pellets. A brand or two even makes smaller pellets. I tried those and still they had issues so I mixed the two and when it was gone it's just back to crumbles again.

Mine have never refused feed, although I only changed once. I agree that mash is definitely better than dry feed.

As a flock, they disdain cabbage (but like Lettuce and Swiss chard), apples, carrots, bananas, strawberries, and kale. They like grapes (must be cut into bite-sized pieces), cucumber, and all insects, worms, and cooked beef.

Individually, some like tomatoes (only the cherry kind), some like oatmeal, some like blueberries, some like raspberries, some like pumpkin.

They are funny creatures.

Mine have never refused feed, although I only changed once. I agree that mash is definitely better than dry feed.

As a flock, they disdain cabbage (but like Lettuce and Swiss chard), apples, carrots, bananas, strawberries, and kale. They like grapes (must be cut into bite-sized pieces), cucumber, and all insects, worms, and cooked beef.

Individually, some like tomatoes (only the cherry kind), some like oatmeal, some like blueberries, some like raspberries, some like pumpkin.

They are funny creatures.
We heard somewhere that chickens shouldn’t have grapes or raisins . Can’t remember where that came from.
Mine love watermelon , chunked or on the half shell, and pumpkin, though we have boiled it and mixed in the mash along with just cut pumpkin .
They will peck at apples, but adore peaches and bananas .

My grandparents kept a small bucket on the sink to which all scraps, peelings, tea leaves, egg shells etc went. At the end of the day pop and I would throw it in for the Lady Leghorns to devour. My Pekin hens will even walk away from standard supermaket white bread, but if it's sourdough or English muffin - stand back! And of course they prefer that I stand there while offering the made-to-order freshly rolled beads! If I walk out with a prepared container and start throwing they stay at my feet looking up at me. Susie will even sound the alarm! lol

My grandparents kept a small bucket on the sink to which all scraps, peelings, tea leaves, egg shells etc went. At the end of the day pop and I would throw it in for the Lady Leghorns to devour. My Pekin hens will even walk away from standard supermaket white bread, but if it's sourdough or English muffin - stand back! And of course they prefer that I stand there while offering the made-to-order freshly rolled beads! If I walk out with a prepared container and start throwing they stay at my feet looking up at me. Susie will even sound the alarm! lol
We have a few that do that, stand at our feet and expect us to drop specialty feed just for them. Someone has been spoiling them.🙄

Back
Top Bottom