Anyone else have whiny Welsummers?

ME ME I DO I DO
hu.gif
63546_marilyn3.jpg
there she is her names Marilyn

I only have two wellies and one is a WILD child. None of my flock have their wings clipped, but the wellies might be the first. All the rest of the birds stay in the large free range area (even the leghorns). The wellies refuse to stay in there and fly out and into the unfenced and unprotected areas of my yard. The free range area is fenced to protect from dogs, plus there are lots of palmento bushes to hide in and there are lots of trees for shade.

The wellies are the LOUDEST complainers over the nesting boxes.

They remind me of the leghorns - - - only more wild. . . .

My wellies are quiet UNTIL they lay their egg, then the whole world can hear their egg song. Mine are also friendly and curious, but do not like to be held. (including my rooster)

I have heard there is a big difference between hatchery welsummers and breeder welsummers. Mine are from a breeder.

I have 2 Wellies that are around 20 weeks old. They are not real social and try to stay away from people. The other birds (BO, BA, Dominique, SS) are fine. They'll come running when I come outside, mostly to check to see if I brought them anything!
lol.png
The only other chickens that match my Wellies for being standoffish/flighty are two of my 3 EEs.
tongue.png

My Welsummer is two and a half years old and a hatchery bird. She is the bossiest one in the flock and pretty independent - doesn't mind foraging away from the rest. She scolds and nags, but is fairly friendly. She is also the only one who laid throughout last winter.

Back
Top Bottom