Anyone else have wildfires nearby?

Cock-A-Doodle-Roo

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
We have a pretty substantial wildfire burning less than 20 miles from our home. It is currently burning at over 36,000 acres and is only 7% contained with over 600 personnel working on it for weeks just to maintain 7% containment, whilst more acres burn. Containment means the perimeter of the fire, not the entire fire. My question is, I currently have my chicks brooding in the basement because of the smoke but what should I do when they are ready to go outside full time? The last major fire we had took nearly 3 months to reach 100% containment.

I’ve definitely had my fair share of fires... I was driving down the freeway when the new lake fire sparked up...
what should I do when they are ready to go outside full time?
I haven’t personally dealt with fires affecting my flock but my SO has had chickens for years and has been “smoke in” with baby chicks. She would put tarps up along the run (especially where the wind is coming from) to limit the amount of smoke coming in. She also repositioned fans that are for heat waves to push and smoke out as soon as it got in. She said overall if the air quality was bad, she could find them inside at all hours of the day, even with the door open, and she ended up putting a fan in there as well. Hope this helped, and I hope the fire goes out quickly!

I’ve definitely had my fair share of fires... I was driving down the freeway when the new lake fire sparked up...

I haven’t personally dealt with fires affecting my flock but my SO has had chickens for years and has been “smoke in” with baby chicks. She would put tarps up along the run (especially where the wind is coming from) to limit the amount of smoke coming in. She also repositioned fans that are for heat waves to push and smoke out as soon as it got in. She said overall if the air quality was bad, she could find them inside at all hours of the day, even with the door open, and she ended up putting a fan in there as well. Hope this helped, and I hope the fire goes out quickly!
Thanks! This does put my mind at ease a bit. I just worry about their tiny lungs.

Thanks! This does put my mind at ease a bit. I just worry about their tiny lungs.
There isn't a whole lot you can do, unfortunately. Unless they are in a building with an air filtration system, fans or putting them inside isn't really going to help. Smoky air is just going to move around tarps or barriers that you put up. Fortunately, the smoke doesn't seem to effect them negatively. I've been in your situation before

We have a pretty substantial wildfire burning less than 20 miles from our home. It is currently burning at over 36,000 acres and is only 7% contained with over 600 personnel working on it for weeks just to maintain 7% containment, whilst more acres burn. Containment means the perimeter of the fire, not the entire fire. My question is, I currently have my chicks brooding in the basement because of the smoke but what should I do when they are ready to go outside full time? The last major fire we had took nearly 3 months to reach 100% containment.
Oh No!!! Where are you?
I'm so sorry to read about fires again.

Right near the Pine Gulch fire in De Beque, Colorado. The smoke is so thick I can't see the mountains a mile away. My asthma has been so bad, but I'm concerned about these little chickadees.

In an update from the Denver post just 3 hours ago, we are now up to over 68,000 acres burning. I didn't mention whether or not they were able to keep a handle on the 7% containment, but its doubtful with that large of a spike. I feel like I'm gargling gravel in my chest and we are wearing our covid masks in the house. In our area we don't have AC, we have Swamp Coolers. With 100° temps all summer, young kids, an elderly cancer patient (my mom) in my home, there is no way I could turn it off to prevent smoke from coming in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom