Anyone else having a hard time?

I keep a flock block handy for the chicks to peck at it helps with boredom. I tried making my own and it worked but there is no way to get them as hard and compacted like the ones at the feed store. Mine lasted 3 days and the one from the feed store will last about 6 weeks.

We had a hard start when we first got chickens. Too long of a story to go into but just wanted to let you know we all have our ups and downs. This is a great site for information and encouragement. Hang in there it does get better and your right spring is on the way.

Great stuff, I also have a bucket waterer with horizontal nipples in my run. I have a bird bath deicer in there and a pond circulation pump, works great and has not froze up yet (I stagger the nipples, one in the middle, two a little lower) they higher up the less likely they are to freeze, the water stays warmer the higher you go).

If she is a new egg layer, all kinds of weird stuff can go on, thin eggs, no shell eggs (look up rubber eggs) different colored eggs, i've had alot. the other day my EE's eggs kept getting thinner and thinner, here she had an impacted crop, so was not getting any nutrition. she is good now, but has not started laying yet again, may take awhile. good thread!
smile.png

Last edited:
All of these responses are incredibly helpful! Now I can learn from what you guys have learned. The horizontal water nipple is a fantastic idea! It would solve a lot of my rooster's frostbite issues. Currently he is hanging out in my basement, serenading us in the mornings. @COChix
 How do you keep the water bucket from freezing? 

Credit must go to these two threads, I have read them both and based on people's experiences I went with the Horizontal Nipples bucket set up.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...r-very-easy-heated-waterer-for-under-20-bucks

This is aart's thread, they responded to this thread as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/936870/my-new-heated-waterer

On the first thread my set up is probably in the last 5 pages. But here is what we have 2 - 5 gallon buckets with 8 Horizontal Nipples between the two, each nipple is suppose to water 6-8 birds, we have 25. In those buckets I have a K & H Ultimate Bucket Heater 250w. They are submersible or floatable, have built in thermostats so they kick on when the temp drops below a certain point and turn off when they temp gets above a certain temp (I don't recall those number atm) and they are made for buckets both metal or plastic. The nipples just required a 11/32 drill bit to install and they threaded right in and I didn't use plumbers tape and seem to have a decent seal, make sure the waterers are raised up to birds neck level, I tapped the nipples a couple times and ours picked it up from there and they had never used any nipples before. On the heater just make sure that you always have enough water to cover the coils. I have not had an issues with anybody learning how to use them or with frozen wattles since.

CoChix that looks great! I may have to try that next winter. I use dog water dishes because my ducks like to play, but I may do away with them since they make it icy. Then it builds up too thick for a shovel to break through. Sassies haha

CoChix that looks great! I may have to try that next winter. I use dog water dishes because my ducks like to play, but I may do away with them since they make it icy. Then it builds up too thick for a shovel to break through. Sassies haha

Thanks and yes we had the heated dog bowls and we got four chickens with frostbite on wattles due to drinking from those in sub zero weather. That was my reason for changing it up and I am very happy so far. I will have to remember to clean the bucket here and there. It was an easy project and I was able to complete without assistance from my BF.

Back
Top Bottom