Anyone else here have a fish pond?

Pics
Excited to see this thread! I currently have 1/2 of a pond, lol. Late quarantine project that has been dragging on for months now. Should be close to 1000 gallons upon completion and home to goldfish and (fingers crossed) shrimp. I know its a long shot with the shrimp rooming with goldies, but I'm using local natural rock full of crevices and planning to plant heavily.
I'd post pics now, but frankly it's a bit of a hot mess. (Sure hope it all comes together, I'm in waaay to deep to turn back!)

Excited to see this thread! I currently have 1/2 of a pond, lol. Late quarantine project that has been dragging on for months now. Should be close to 1000 gallons upon completion and home to goldfish and (fingers crossed) shrimp. I know its a long shot with the shrimp rooming with goldies, but I'm using local natural rock full of crevices and planning to plant heavily.
I'd post pics now, but frankly it's a bit of a hot mess. (Sure hope it all comes together, I'm in waaay to deep to turn back!)
Hopefully the rocks won't cause problems, I know that many discourage their use.

Hopefully the rocks won't cause problems, I know that many discourage their use.
Yeah, I trolled many pond forums looking for others who had gone that route before I finally committed.
Our property is littered with limestone. You cannot expect to dig here without hitting rock. We had a boggy (mosquito hatchery) area at the back of property that we dug out to form a pond a few years ago. We stocked it with shiners just to eat mosquito larve, and they have thrived. I know limestone is notorious for high ph, but hopefully goldfish will work. (I figure worst case scenario, I can always stock it with more bait fish 🤣)

I’d love to see all pictures, even the hot mess ones. We start digging a koi pond soon & I’d like to see other people’s process.

I sold my house with my koi pond, bought a house with a 5-acre pond that I planned to convert to an awesome live pond- then I learned the hard way that turtles will eat or destroy pretty much all lilies, lotus, etc... anything but pickerel weed and cat tails. After that I learned that trapping turtles is equally as frustrating. So now I have a big, beautiful pond full of bluegills and turtles but no koi, goldfish or aquatic plants. Ho hum. Back to chickens.

Back
Top Bottom