anyone else just LOVE roosters?

I can do without one if I have to. But they do make a barnyard.
big_smile.png

I have 7 roosters 3 D uccle roos, 1 EE , 1 BO, 1 Australorp, 1 Light Brahma, and I am about to adopt a White roo not sure of its breed right now but the lady said she couldn't have it in the city so I am going to let it stay here. I love them and they are so sweet. They free range and are in bug heaven out here in the country.

oh yes !!!! i love our rooster!!!! hes a bit nutty!!! hes got a large floppy comb so he tends to look out of the corner of one eye!!! kinda funny...ill find a pic and post!!
cool.png

34076_img_1426.jpg

its the chicken on the far left!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
That face! He looks very huggable and squooshy-I don't think I could get anything done for carrying him around spoiling him, hugging him, etc.
I love my girls, but there is nothing better than a wonderful, friendly rooster.

At the moment I am especially fond of my Dark Brahma. We suffered a fox attack 2 nights ago (husband forgot to shut the coop) and 6 were take by the fox. The big boy must have put up one hell of a fight as 6 hens are still with us. He was bitten terribly and had to have stitches...tears all over his back. I didn't know whether he would live or die in the first 24 hours but today he is starting to look better (He even let out a token whirring noise in place of a crow this morning).
I'm SO proud of him, and he doesn't even have spurs!

Sandie

I'm presently on the fence about roosters. I had two in my flock. They really didn't fight at all. Gravy, our dominant roo, was getting a little problematic though. He was pretty rough on the girls, he crowed incessantly (I don't mind the crowing, but he just kept at it all day), and I was started to get concerned about him becoming aggressive. He only challenged me once. I gave him a swat and chased him around and have never had another issue. I was concerned that he might go after my wife or the kids though. The kids were only allowed in the pen if I was in there. I didn't know how they'd respond if he did try something.

Yesterday my little girl was hand feeding him some BOSS and clover and he seemed quite content. All of sudden, he backed up, puffed himself up and then tried to flog her. Fortunately she was outside the chicken pen, although he did scratch her hand and arm through the fence a little. Both my wife and I were watching at the time and it didn't appear that she'd done anything to provoke him. We'd talked that morning about listing him on Craig's List because he just wasn't working out. I really wouldn't feel right putting him with somebody else, knowing he's a potential problem though. We explained things to the kids and I did what needed doing. Anyway, he's now chilling in the fridge. Surprisingly the kids understand and even asked if we'd be eating him.

Anyway I'm a little mixed on the subject of roosters. If it were just me, I wouldn't care so much. I do have to think about the kids though. Hopefully, his hatch-mate will be a keeper. If not, we may not have roosters. At least not until my kids can handle one if it were to come after them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom