Anyone else nervous about this heat?

A variation on the ice-in-the-drinker theme:

At night I've been making sure to put a half-full gallon drinker reservoir in our big freezer. The result in the morning is that the top of the drinker reservoir is one big cube of ice. I fill it up the rest of the way with water, screw on the base, and put it out in the run. It does eventually all melt and warm up, but it seems to help them get through the day pretty well while I'm at work.

A variation on the ice-in-the-drinker theme:

At night I've been making sure to put a half-full gallon drinker reservoir in our big freezer. The result in the morning is that the top of the drinker reservoir is one big cube of ice. I fill it up the rest of the way with water, screw on the base, and put it out in the run. It does eventually all melt and warm up, but it seems to help them get through the day pretty well while I'm at work.

Great idea! My freezer just so happens to be empty right now in preparation for the chickens, so I have plenty of room to do a few of these. Thanks!

We just finished butchering for the season so I don't have any meaties in the heat but I did lose 3 layers a few days ago. The next day I brought the house up from pasture and placed them under the maple trees in the front yard. It has been much hotter since the day I lost three but everybody seems to be doing fine. Shade and ventilation seem to be key.

Whew! We butchered all 25 of our Cornish Rocks and 13 Red Rangers this morning. Didn't lose a single one other than the 2 as chicks right after we got them (plus one that DH stepped on!). Out of 78 I think that's pretty darn good. We kept the 25 Black Broilers we have and the Red pullets to grow a bit. The few Red pullets we butchered were pretty scrawny.

The Red Rangers and Black Broilers don't seem bothered by the heat at all, which is good because it was 100 degrees today and should be as hot the rest of the week! My layers have been fine so far, too. The Brahmas seem a little more prone to panting than my other girls.

Back
Top Bottom