Anyone else notice Silver leghorn size difference from the white or browns?

Dec 30, 2018
SC, Low Country
Just noting a size difference between the silver leghorns I have verses the white and browns. The first batch I got were 5 white and 2 silver. The silver ones are noticeably smaller than the whites. I picked them up from Tractor supply so I'm assuming Hoover Hatchery. This spring I ordered 6 silver leghorns and 4 brown ones from McMurray Hatchery and the brown ones are considerably bigger than the silver even though the descriptions are the same as far as size and weight when I look at different hatchery descriptions.
So I'm assuming silver ones just tend to be smaller in stature. They're very beautiful so I'm not complaining I was just curious if anyone else noticed the size difference too. Or did I just happen to get smaller silvers from two different hatcheries?

Different hatcheries breeding different lines. If the breed description calls for the same adult weight range for the varieties, than it's in the breeding if there a difference. I'm not real familiar with leghorns, but have had distinctly different sized birds of the same breed from different sources.

Back
Top Bottom