Anyone else second guess and feel decisive about euthanasia?

I don't waste time or money on "Poor Baby", they're gone.
Hi. Please leave. It’s people like you that need to just shut up and move on. It’s not a waste. And I don’t recall asking for how you feel about euthanasia. I’m sorry you’re heartless and rude but I’m not and I love my chickens like they’re my kids. If you could please stop and realize how insensitive you were with those words, I’d appreciate that. Have a good or bad night, I don’t care. I’m not wasting my time. Farewell

I had trouble putting my dog down a few weeks ago because every time we scheduled the appointment he seemed better again. When he was feeling bad, it was really, really bad. I couldn't do enough to help him stop shaking in pain. He was a challenge to keep medicated, even the vet and staff agreed they hadn't had so much trouble before. But we worked on it every day until he had his dose, and then I had to double his dose. The night before his morning appointment to be put down, he felt better again. He slept peacefully for a change cuddled next to me all night, had a big juicy breakfast of his favorite meats, and ran around outside. When we got to the vets office he was so excited to sniff and bounce around in the grass outside, wagging his tail at the other dogs. It was heart-rending to go ahead with the appointment, but I kept reminding myself of how inconsolable he was most days.
I really don't know if he could have had more good days, but I do know if he had more bad days because of my wish to hold on to him, that would have been my fault.

Sorry, this is probably no help at all.
Euthanasia is such a hard decision. I'm really sorry you are going through this. It sounds like, though, her "better" days are still awful.

It's tempting to compare their lowest points and their not-so-low points, and *want* to believe that means they will keep improving. But we have to take a step back and look at their actual quality of life. And there isn't a chart to consult or percentages to look at, but if overall their life is of pain and suffering, and they aren't able to, for lack of better terms, be a chicken and *enjoy* being a chicken, then euthanasia in my opinion is usually the better option.

Not easier, by any means. But better.

It sounds like you are being a good chicken parent, and that she has lived a fantastic life with you, and she has been loved. Hugs if you want them, but it sounds like letting her go peacefully will be a mercy to her.
It is called animal husbandry. We have to think as the head of household, and the father and make hard decisions. My husband wants to give more reprieve than I do.
This isn't helpful. Plenty of us do "waste" as you say, time and money on chickens because we become attached to them.

Just because you don't doesn't mean no one else does.

OP has lost an animal they were attached to. I think a little more empathetic of a response is the least we can all do.
Thank you guys so very much for your responses. I wish you all a blessed day

It may sound cruel, but very, very very rarely do I not feel a weight off my shoulders after I've put a bird down for a health reason. Often times, as soon as we've made the blow and the animal itself is gone, I feel relief because I know the results I'm seeing is just electricity finishingnits rounds, and nothing more. They are no longer in pain, and no longer will have anymore bad days.

It may sound cruel, but very, very very rarely do I not feel a weight off my shoulders after I've put a bird down for a health reason. Often times, as soon as we've made the blow and the animal itself is gone, I feel relief because I know the results I'm seeing is just electricity finishingnits rounds, and nothing more. They are no longer in pain, and no longer will have anymore bad days.
I understand. Thank you !

Amd don't take this to think that relief means that I don't feel bad. I often do feel bad that this is what it came to, especially if it was something that I simply couldn't help (like genetic cross beak or an injury from an aggressive broody dealt to a chick).

I had to put a hen down for water belly, and pullets with Mareks. I was fortunate in a way, because mine was really sick, so I knew I just had to do it.
But even then, I left it to long, and felt so bad for that poor hen and one of the pullets. I think, if they are have more bad days then good days, and if those bad days are so bad that they can't enjoy anything, then is should have been done before it got to that point, which is where I went wrong, I waited till then.
Hugs, and know what ever you do, you have given her a very good life, and she knows you love her.

Back
Top Bottom