Anyone else see this plucker on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by amarook, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I've heard of drill pluckers but I have never seen one in action. I'm sure it would work as those are the same "fingers" that are on my plucker.

2. 17roses

17roses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    I have seen a video of it working. It is the invention of someone on another chicken site. He says it costs $6 to make. It is just a PVC cap and bungie cords. PM Cybercat and ask her where to find it.

3. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Quote:Here's a link to a video of the $6 plucker in action. Its not the best quality video, but you can see it working. Note that it has 2 rows of fingers, not just one like the eBay model.:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=796868e4598671806901&q=chicken+plucker

But, I might be willing to pay $35 + $7.10 shipping on eBay to save the time of gathering up all the 'parts' and making it.

4. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    I made one last year, but didn't finish it in time to use it on the Broilers. But we did use it on a couple of turkey's. Yes they work. But can be tricky to use. I haven't seen one with a single row of commercial fingers besides this one. so I don't know how it would work.

The biggest draw back to using a cup type, is feathers go every where.

They may not get the larger feathers on the wings and tail. But it's still a lot quicker then hand plucking. It took about 3 to 5 minutes for a 18 lb dressed turkey.

It can be hard on your for arms, but if you only do 6 to 8 birds a day it not to bad. Any more and I would suggest a small drum type plucker. Most larger Hunting and Fishing stores also carry them for about the same price.

It can take any where from 1 hour to several hours to make depending on what length of bungie cords you get. Any more then about 8 fingers and it will slow down the drill so it won't pluck. Also if you run it in reverse once you have plucked the bird it will remove pin feather.

Tom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by