Anyone else sexed roos this way?

chasmodeus

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2022
San Marcos, TX
So I noticed that in my first batch of coturnix, A&M Whites, that the roosters would literally climb over the hens to try to get in the corner of the cage when they were 6-8 weeks old(they don't do it now). I found it amusing that they were willing to through the girls to the wolves in order to get away. My batch of celadon corturnix are just reaching that same age and on a lark when I noticed two birds do the same thing, I pulled them out and sure enough, they've got the foam going on. My celadons are way more calm than my whites were at this age and they don't really run from me like the whites did, so seeing any try to desperately push themselves in the corner is much more noticeable to me.

Anyways, curious if any of you other quail keepers have noticed this behavior in young roos?

I haven't noticed anything like that. In my experience, the males tend to be bolder than the hens. The hens are calmer, but the boys will run towards me or around me.

My jumbo whites are Huge. I notice that the hens are larger and appear more rounded whereas the roos are "taller", more road-runner like (probably from "craning" their neck to look around more as they are more interested in the outside of the cage world).

I have Some to sex this morn

Back
Top Bottom