Anyone else use Grubbly Farms feed? Opinions on it?

Jun 12, 2022
Southern California Mountains
I was wondering if anyone else on here uses Grubbly Farms chicken feed and what your opinions on it are. Have you noticed a difference in their health, egg production, feather quality, etc., when using this feed compared to others? I would love anyones opinion on the feed and the differences you've noticed, or lack thereof, when on this feed. They are raising their prices again and it is going to be getting a little pricey to feed my 13 chickens, so I just want to see if it is worth it to still purchase this feed or if I should start to look elsewhere. I do like their delivery service as I live an hour away from the closest 3 cities, and with gas prices it costs $80 just to drive there. Let me know your opinions on this feed, I really appreciate it! :)

I am familiar with Grubbly Farm's products. I have some concerns with their final nutritional analysis (particularly the fat content), but the amino acid profile is better than many products occupying a similar space (due to their extensive use of animal protein). Honestly, few soy-free products can get anywhere close, and most (all that I am personally familiar with) have the same concern with high fat content if they do.

A day or so ago I compared Grubbly's Starter with Purina's Start and Grow and their Flock Raiser.

Its good feed.

Having said that, I can purchase a good "Layer" style feed from the local mill at the cost of about $0.24/lb, and a specialized high protein starter feed at just under $0.34/lb. The best price I can find on Grubblies is 4x that price.

Is the feed 4x superior nutritionally? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Its your money, not for me to tell you how to spend it - but if you are buying Grubblies rationally, its for a reason other than spectacular nutrition for your chickens. Only you can determine if its worth it.

Do you have a feed store that carries fresh pelleted or crumbled feed near you?

The name brand of the feed is not as important as most think.

There's no way in the world I would drive far to buy a particular brand name of chicken feed when I have a feed store across the street that sells other brands.

Do you have a feed store that carries fresh pelleted or crumbled feed near you?

The name brand of the feed is not as important as most think.

There's no way in the world I would drive far to buy a particular brand name of chicken feed when I have a feed store across the street that sells other brands.
I only have one, I live in the mountains in Southern California and only have a really tiny town 20 minutes from me and the rest of the actual cities are 1hr for stores like tsc. They only carry one brand called king brand, not sure if it’s a good feed or not! I like that grubby farms uses insect protein instead of fish meal like other brands use. However, $80 for 60 pounds is already a ton of money, not sure how much more it’s going to be after the price increase in July!!

I sm on my second bag of grubllies layer crumble. I only have 3 chickens and they are 4 yrs old.
They eat it, they haven't always liked other brands.
As far as health goes i have noticed their eggs shells are less brittle and the whites are firmer, is this the feed or different forage or age, hard to say.
My ladies have full range of our entire yard, so they don't go through a lot of commercial feed.

They carry the freedom layer pellets and crumbles and the organic layer pellets and crumbles! I’d love to hear your thoughts on it, thank you! :)
I was wondering if anyone else on here uses Grubbly Farms chicken feed and what your opinions on it are. Have you noticed a difference in their health, egg production, feather quality, etc., when using this feed compared to others? I would love anyones opinion on the feed and the differences you've noticed, or lack thereof, when on this feed. They are raising their prices again and it is going to be getting a little pricey to feed my 13 chickens, so I just want to see if it is worth it to still purchase this feed or if I should start to look elsewhere. I do like their delivery service as I live an hour away from the closest 3 cities, and with gas prices it costs $80 just to drive there. Let me know your opinions on this feed, I really appreciate it! :)
Is this the exact feed you are talking about?
If so I would NOT but it Even if it were cheaper than a locally bought brand.
Screenshot_20220619-122027.png
Screenshot_20220619-122000.png
Screenshot_20220619-122014.png

I noticed it says that it is a pelleted form but it's not. You can clearly see the different types of grains and seeds and pellets mixed in in the picture.
This gives the bird the option to pick and choose what it wants to eat which can cause the bird to not get a balanced diet.

The local King brand layer... Appears to be an actual real pellet form or crumble form which would be better.

King:
Screenshot_20220619-121900.png

Is this the exact feed you are talking about?
If so I would NOT but it Even if it were cheaper than a locally bought brand.
View attachment 3154704View attachment 3154705View attachment 3154706

I noticed it says that it is a pelleted form but it's not. You can clearly see the different types of grains and seeds and pellets mixed in in the picture.
This gives the bird the option to pick and choose what it wants to eat which can cause the bird to not get a balanced diet.

The local King brand layer... Appears to be an actual real pellet form or crumble form which would be better.

King:View attachment 3154707
I bought the grubbly crumbles because yes they did pick through the pellets and would eat the seeds and grains first, leaving the the actual pellets. I noticed a couple girls getting thinner with the pelleted ones because they would refuse to eat it. They devour the crumbles from grubbly farms though.

Back
Top Bottom