Anyone Else Use Vaccines from TSC?

drdoolittle

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 30, 2010
NE Indiana
I have 3 indoor dogs, 4 indoor cats, 1 outdoor dog, and for now, 4 outdoor cats. Obviously, medical expenses could get quite high just with prevenative care. So, I get revolution from the vet, and the dogs rabies shots every year. But, the vaccines I get at TSC and give to the animals myself----I was just wondering if anyone else on here uses them and if anyone on here has reasons NOT to use them. I have worked for a vet in the past, and know how to give the different injections-----but I was also told by my vet not to do the first series of shots (for puppies/kittens) with the ones from TSC because they are generic and may not have the exact amount of what is needed. But they also said the ones from TSC are fine for a yearly booster.

I have not given the ones from TCS, but did order my own shots for many, many years from Drs Foster and Smith. It's the same stuff the vets are using. Maybe not the same brand, but certainly the same quality.

You can do that?! :O That would save me A LOT of money.. I don't really even vaccinate my furries other than their first ones.. My vet charges WAY too much.. We don't have our dogs come in contact with other dogs, so that could be a help.. But our cats.. They should be vaccinated..

I do flea control though..

I don't vaccinate except for rabies as required by law. We don't vaccinate people every year do we??? If in doubt, have your vet run a titer panel every few years and you will see that the immunity is still there, even 10 years after the last shot.

ETA: all the breeders I know do the first shots themselves. Singe didn't get ANY of his shots at the vet, other than rabies.
The problem, though, is that you need to be sure you can trust the store, so I'm not sure I'd buy at TSC. Vaccines are very temp sensitive and there is no way to know if they were left sitting on the loading dock and got warm. I'd go with a small local feed store that you can trust. Or there are some online companies that I've heard good things about.

Last edited:
We raised large breed show dogs for many years and always did our own shots. Not only would it have been impossible for me to load them all up and take them to the vet, the cost would have been ridiculous. We ordered them from a veterinary supply catalog. They are the same ones the vets get and you can vaccinate a whole kennel full of dogs for less than what they charge you for one.

Yep! How else could I afford to vacc. all 7 cats that were dumped out here this year. Last year was 2 cats and a dog.
th.gif

I have always given my own shots (dogs, horses) saves me a ton. Used to be able to give rabies when I lived in Florida, now have to pay for those, luckily my vet holds low cost rabies clinics.

I have always vaccinated my own animals, I usually order them from Jeffers and have had a really good luck with them. As for the TSC shots, I personally don't recommend them, because there is no quality controls for their fridge. If a customer leaves the door open and a worker doesn't notice for a while those shots could be compromised. The shots may be fine but I feel better buying them directly from a vet supply place and having them overnighted to my house, and besides doing it that way is cheaper because you buy in bulk! My sister recently bought a 4 yr old horse and a 16yr old horse (mother and daughter) that were allegidly vaccinated by the owner with store bought vaccines, it was spring when she bought the horse and was just getting ready for her spring boosters. *a little background* I am from MI and last year the Equine Encephalytis was really bad and several horses were infected and killed. My Sister went away for a week vacation and I ordered both of our shots for the horses with the intent of giving them while she was away. In the mean time her new 4yr old horse contracted EE, which it was vaccinated for by the previous owner, and was dead in 48 hours!! I recieved the vaccines the day her horse became ill, but that disease is so strong, and pretty much fatal, it was too late! I'm not saying it was the shots, but her other horse was fine and received the same shots as the other horse, but as a young horse it received its original shots from a breeder that did not buy them from TSC. I'm just saying this is something to think about. My two horses were also fine, and I like I said before get them from the vet or from Jeffers, and give them myself. Thankfully I have a great small animal vet and an easy to work with large animal vet. Both offices are very helpful and will sell me vaccines for me to administer myself. Good luck with the vaccinating!! You could call Jeffers, I think the number is 1-800-jeffers, they should be able to answer any questions and at least send you a catalog!

Back
Top Bottom