Anyone else with a disabled pet?

Only one I'd call disabled, but I've had a few w/ defects. Iris is deaf, but she's far from disabled.
3045.jpg

Moxie was born w/ a deformed tail, amputated to a bob, it points sideways,
100_6472.jpg

This is my disabled pet, E.D., she has neurological problems.
10-03-1117.jpg

Some previous pets w/ defects.
Sara, three legged and no tailed after a dog attack, also deaf!
5bb9.jpg

(had another deaf cat, but no pics of him)
Breeze, deaf ferret,
022-2.jpg

One eared goat, Flower,
04-09-1124.jpg

And Nice, missing a foot,
Picture147.jpg

Also had a blind calf, but no pics of him.

No disabled animals here. Unless you count my chicken, Rose, who still has respitory issues after she was bitten on the head by our dog last year. We think she inhaled some blood or something, we aren't sure. But she is certainly a fighter, and is so grateful to be better now. She follows us all around the yard!

I think is is wonderful how all of you make room in your hearts and home for these special animals.
smile.png

I have 2 dogs that have issues.

One had epileptic seizures so bad that she got brain damage - sweetest dog ever, just not "right"in the head.

And another that has authritis in both her hind leg knees. Imagine that, after all the time and money spent on breeding with good hips, and the knees were bad... at least it only happened on the runt puppy. She also has the sweetest temperment and very smart, she just cannot sit and she falls alot.

Quote:
My lab has Lyme. She got it before we adopted her 8 years ago, but she has had no major problems. Every once in a while she limps on her back leg, but that is it.

We waited in vain for our little girl to have a recovery. Several friends have had their dogs test positive for Lyme, but they have been asymptomatic. Leave it to one of my animals to be the veeeeerrrrry expensive exception!
barnie.gif

I'm glad your girl is doing well!

We have a 13 year old blind horse. She went blind about 5-6 years ago due to lack of worming in her prior home, the parasites attacked her eyes. She is 100% blind in both eyes. She is the sweetest horse you could meet.

Well the 30 year old horse is a bit special needs, and the 14 yr old dog has some hip issues, but those are just part of the aging process..
Beastie is my only disabled pet - he started as a barn cat, but was always trying to get into the house and was just such a lover, I'm really more a dog person and had previously had bad experiences with house cats and said NO house cats, well then my sweet Beastie got hurt, not sure what happened to him, but his left hip was dislocated and his right hind leg broken. we brought him inside to see how he would do, he spent a few weeks literally pulling himself around by his front legs, but slowly got better. he walks like a woman in high heels (has that hip swish going) but would still run and play. then came the day he didn't move.. We've determined that he had a stroke, not sure what caused it, one day he was fine and the next he clearly wasn't. spinning in circles, crying for no reason, not eating / drinking, etc.. he has gotten past the circling and walks in a straight line again, but is now blind in the right eye, has limited feeling in both right legs and has overall weekness on that side of his body. we've had to make some adjustments with his food and litterbox so that he can always find them and he sometimes misses the inside of his litterbox (always right there though). all this and he is only 16 months old.. thru everything, he has never offered to hiss or scratch, and while he is no longer quite right in the head (gets overly excited by sound easily and will constantly run into your feet as you walk), he remains the sweetest most gentle cat I have ever met. sorry for such a long post, but while he is a bit more work these days, I couldn't imagine my home without him, it is definitely worth the extra effort..

89745_beast.jpg

This was our German Shepherd Kodi who had Degenerative Myelopathy which is a progressive disease of the spinal cord as is possibly genetic. The breeds most commonly affected are German Shepherds, Welsh Corgis, Irish Setters, and Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. Kodi first showed signs of DM when she was 9 years old and with much love and care was with us until she passed peacefully at age 12. She was unable to use her hind legs toward the end and used a wheeled cart to get around outside.

kodihead.jpg

KodisWheels.jpg

6-9-06029.jpg

I have a blind dog. Last march my dd and I found her on our snowcovered country road on the mornnig after a very severe snowstorm, with another on on its way. We got her in the truck, and noticed her eyes were very protruded and looked like they had been pecked, as they were crusted over with black crud. After taking her to the vet ( who told her she was fumped b/c of her eyes) he told us it was best to euthanize her.
Ummmm no. She is my best friend now.
72_p1050879.jpg

Quote:
I had a kitten with CH. Went to the barn one day to feed and there he was. Couldn't have been 5-6 weeks old. You said drunken sailor...yes, and I named mine Tequila. He couldn't walk well, but when I tried to catch him that little booger sure could run! Led me quite the merry chase, but once I had him he tamed down into a very sweet little fellow. I brought him in to to live with the house cats, when they got a little too active for him, he would just tuck himself out of the way and just watch them. He would pick one to wrestle with and give as good as he got.

We spaced out all his vaccines so he wouldn't have to have them all at once. Then after all that I took him to be neutered at about 6 months old. Two days later he went into Grand Mal seizures and I had to have him euthanised. Many cats (and other animals) have come into my life in the last 3 years, but my heart broke that day and still has not healed.

Quote:
Kodi reminds me of my collie Roman. I just ordered a cart for him as I think he may have DM. He has lots of other medical issues and life has not been fair to him at all but he's a wonderful boy. The look on Kodi's face in the second pic really looks like Romie.

Back
Top Bottom