1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone ever bought chicks from TSC??

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by erthymom2, Jul 14, 2008.

1. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    When i went in today to get my feed, i picked up a flyer about chicks that you can pay for at TSC, and they will have them delivered directly to your home, and get this, there is NO shipping cost.

The price of the chick is the inly thing you pay, which is on an average $2.20 for pulletts and about 30 cents less for straight run of the same.

5 chick per breed required and 25 totoal minimum per order. Thats as good as Ideal and BETTER then McMurray's.

they have all the regular breeds and some special breeds like silkies and only assorted bantams.

Their chicks from in the store that I bought in the sdpring were fine, and I guess these would be too - any feedback on them??

2. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe it is just where you live. I have never seen it at our TSC~ Do they offer it online with their other online items?

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Our TSC has never done that, at least not that I know of. It may be an individual store thing. I know that one of my friends used to work there and she was individually responsible for ordering, receiving, and taking care of the live chicks. So maybe its a store by store case.

I couldn't do that though. I'm an instant gratification kinda person. I ordered only once from a hatchery and will never do it again. Not enough patience.

4. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    My TSC has a large sign regarding ordering chickens - I haven't read the details other than you have to order a minimum of 25. I got some back in March that they had in the store and they were healthy and good quality. They told me then that they used Privett Hatchery.

5. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I would want to know what hatchery they are coming from. Our TSC and many feedstores in Michigan use a local (in state) hatchery. Their birds are fine for eggs and meat, I am sure, but not at all for showing, even on the 4-H level. Their bantams come as bantams, you can't specify breed at all and some are obviously mixed.

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i was looking at the order form and contemplating it but I didnt want 25 and a few days later they started getting chicks in so I just got them. Have had no problems with them other than Im pretty sure my ameraucanas (sp? dont kill me) are EE's but thats ok with me.

7. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    the mgr at our local tsc told me they order from the larger hatcheries (mmm, ideal) just like you or i do. i have also read horror stories about how they keep the chicks after arrival in nasty conditions. our store does keep them clean, but i would just order myself.

8. crazychickengirl

crazychickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Glenmont, Ohio
    My friends and I bought chicks from TSC this spring. We thought we were getting Black Austrolorps, but some of them turned out to be GLW....and some of them we're still not sure about...they look like a mix breed of some sort. They were healthy, but it was really frustrating to not get the breed that was advertised. But this was my only encounter with them and chicks....I'd say it's worth a try!

9. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    Our TSC here gets their chick from Ideal. I purchased some EE's and 2 ducks there this spring, and all grew up great with no problems. I was there as the chicks arrived that day, and there were 3 employees giving them water and cooing over them, like the customers were - treated them gently and made sure they all drank and ate. I would buy some there again.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  10. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    I brought some chicks from our TSC store this spring and they are doing really good. I never did ask them where they came from but I am really happy with them. Are you sure they still have this deal as what I thought that I had read it was a limited time only.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by