Anyone ever built a non electric incubator?

jruner

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
Challis, Idaho
I have heard of oil lamps and hot water tank heaters used before electricity was even invented but has anyone built or even used something like that?

Thanks, John Runer

Challis, Idaho

I doubt anyone uses anything like that any more. Seems like a broody would be easier and cheaper to use.

You took the words out of my mouth, Kooshie...LOL. My broody Silkie is way cheaper than an incubator!
wink.png
But then, I don't hatch many chicks, and haven't had any eggs shipped to me (I just use my own eggs.)

I know Mulia (in Indonesia) has daily power outages and uses kerosene lamps to keep his incubator warm. He worries about the Carbon dioxide affecting the eggs, but he has successfully hatched some eggs that way. The kerosene lamps are his back-up though, he still uses electricity as his primary heating.

I also remember reading about an incubator heated with hot water, but don't know the details of it. Good luck finding your information...it sounds very interesting!

Thanks for the replies this "project" would be more of a back up plan if the power was going to be out a couple of days. Has anyone ever used hot water bottles in an emergency?

Thanks

John Runer

Broodies that have mind farts are why I have an incubator in the first place. Unfortunately broodies are pea-brained, simple critters and they up and decide to abandon nests, break eggs or do something else dumb that means a human has to take over or lose the hatch.

And while a good broody is a great thing, you can't make them broody when you want to hatch eggs.

So I can totally see the use for alternative fuel bators.

Yes. I have used hot water bottles before I had a bator. That can sometimes last long enough. Heated rocks and towels, even. (Never heat a wet or creek rock. BANG when the water expands.)

I've had broodies that can handle 10-12 eggs at a time. I've had them also QUIT without warning on the same number.

I was using my incubator to "rescue" badly brooded eggs long before I used it to hatch as a primary source.

So yeah Kerosene or alternative fuels make a lot of sense. I've lost chicks and eggs to power outtages before.

Back
Top Bottom