1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone ever crossed EE's with Silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MichiganWoods, Oct 26, 2008.

1. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Maybe I'll start my own breeding project, as I have always had a strong fondness for genetics. I need to see what hatches out of my eggs (and what survives until breeding age), but I was thinking about crossing my EE's with my RIW's to try and get a prolific blue egg layer that will lay all year round. I realize the first generation would most likely produce the olive to brown toned green eggs, but perhaps I can/will find a few blues in there. Or at least a few that seem blue with a brown undertone rather than the typical green. I would single those out to hatch and breed that batch together and see how the eggs turned out, then repeat the process until I ended up with a nice shade of blue. Then after that group has been established for a while, I'd look into crossing with silkies to get a fluffier EE that would produce a lot of blue eggs.

Anyone done anything similar?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Looks like you have two very different goals. Crossing with the RIR may increase egg production, but crossing with the Silkie will cancel it out. I'm not a genetic guru so I can't give you the techno terms, but it seems like you need to decide what you want, either eggs or feathers.... otherwise you're just creating a bunch of mixes without any particular purpose.

3. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Hmm. Perhaps the EE/RIW mix will just become a better laying EE.

Don't Silkies lay well?

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

well they are better known for being broody's than their egg production. Not to mention that you'd be decreasing egg size by crossing an EE with a bantam like the Silkie....

5. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Doesn't it take a few years to establish a new breed? All I can do is try and see what happens. Maybe nothing, but I'm curious.

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I got some EE/Silkie cross eggs in the incubator from a BYCer.(KellyHM) Maybe she can give an idea how hers turned out?

7. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Mine are due to hatch on Monday, so I'll let you know! So far 100% are developing! Also, my Silkie lays daily, just as well as my EEs!

8. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    That cross seems like a neat idea!

Good luck. [​IMG]

9. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I asked a breeder the same question, if she had crossed her Ameraucanas and her Silkies, I'd love to see what you get.

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    If you click on my website/myspace link, you will see the top pic is an EE bantam hen, the second pic is a splash silkie rooster, and the 3rd pic is the 3 offspring. They are only about 3 mos old in that pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by