Anyone ever deal with a dislocation?-updated from vet

Smoky73

Lyon Master
16 Years
Feb 8, 2007
Colorado
One of my silkie roosters I thought something was wrong. He had a metal leg band on him that was over his spur at an odd angle, and I thought it was digging into his leg causing him to lose his balance and not want to walk. Well, he has been in the house for two days now, he is fine otherwise, but I noticed yesterday, he does not use his right wing, it just hangs limp. The joint closest to the body feels swollen and like it is possibly out of the socket, certainly not the same as the other side. I am trying to reach a local vet, but might skip that and drive up to Loveland to the Avian vet.
Obviously this would cause him to lose his balance on occasion, I just hope it can be slipped back into place easily, I just wonder if it could also not be put back in depending how long it has been out. Maybe a week? hard to tell, I always thought he was being a lazy bird as he sat outside a lot and didnt move around much. Maybe this is why.

Last edited:
I had a cockerel with a limp wing. His must not have been as serious as yours, we left him alone and it healed on it's own within a week's time. He's fine now. He's a mix breed oegb, silkie, and prob. something else.

Thanks, I got an appointment with the bird vet today at 4pm. I hope that it is something they might be able to fix without surgery because if it requires invasive surgery, I will just have to have them put him down. I have had birds die in recovery from surgery and my finances are not so I can afford a several hundred dollars to do that again.

I had someone ask me if it was maybe Mareks, but, I have had Mareks before and this is totally not that.

I had that with Penny just before she was killed...her hip was out and I couldn't get it back in...And Ernie wouldn't let me have his doctor do both hips for a discount...
tongue.gif

That you only waited a week is good. We had a hen once with a dislocated hip, it took us a long time to figure out the rooster did it to her...when we finally took her to the vet he diagnosed it as a dislocated hip, and said he didn't think he could get it back in. He couldn't, when he tried he broke her leg in the process. Wasn't a good outcome in the long run, but a learning experience, he told us we shouldn't have waited so long. Good luck with yours.

Well guess what? He broke his wing! I took him up last night to the Avian vet. She said he fractured his wing bone, I can't recall what she called it, but it is basically our ball joint in our shoulder? Yeah, that. She said he had to have gotten hit or kicked or something really hard to have broken that, and we are certainly at a loss for how he did it? She said most birds get injured like that from flying into something, but obviously, he can't fly. She checked him for wounds, blood anything cause I wondered if he might have gotten grabbed through the fence by something. DH thinks maybe ge got his wing stuck in the gate of his run...really we are scraping at straws, we have no idea. She said it could be the clavicle thats broke and that would heal on its own no problems in that case.
So she asked if surgery was an option and I told her no, as the birds usually end up dying on me. So, we opted to wrap it. It was not a very stable break, so she used the coban wrap, a bit tacky, to imobilize the wing loosely. She said that they usually heal quite well so he is to be wrapped for the next three weeks and in a small pen to limit movement. He is standing and getting around pretty well and he was starving when we got home so he ate a bunch of food. However, she could not determine if he has nerve damage or not and if he does, whether that would improve. She gave me anti-inflammatory for his pain in hopes of bringing the swelling down. I am to monitor his food intake and his weight, check for panting as if he continues, the meds may be wrong to control his pain level.

Not exactly what I wanted to do on the start of Labor Day weekend, the traffic was hideous! But, hindsight, it was worth it to know what the heck the problem is.

I have a Silkie with a dislocated hip. (I think) Maybe I should start a new thread. Well it happened about three weeks ago, all my chickies got out of their pen and they were all acting like wild maniacs. I was freaking because I was so worried about the neighbors getting mad. A bunch ran into the neighbors yard. I caught them one at a time which took about an hour. A whiloe later I noticed one chick laying down, and the more I watched, I knew something was wrong.

I took him out and checked his leg, and it was very swollen. I did not want to put him down. I could not afford a vet. I thought it was broken so I splinted it and gave him aspirin and put him in a little box with a bunch of dog fur for his bed. He really liked the dog fur. I fed him scrambled eggs and vitamins and water and a bit of an aspirin every day. The swelling eventually went down, but the leg just wasnt right. So I took the bandage and splint off and it did appear at that time the hip was out. He just didnt want another bandage so I let him be. He eventually got to be back with his buddys which seemed to makle him most happy. He limps around and I named him Gimpy. He seems to be doing ok.

I feel so guilty for hurting him (by accident). And also I struggle with the choices I made for him, wondering if they were right. I guess time will tell wether he grows up to be able to live a good life. He does seem to be doing ok at this time, 3 weeks after his injury and with his buddies.

Well, Friday and Saturday went good, until that evening when I gave him his meds. He panted a lot , getting very stressed when I have to handle him. By this morning, he got his foot stuck in the wrap, so I had to take it off to adjust him. After struggling with him deciding whether he was better off without it, I did end up putting it back on. He can't seem to get his legs under him and has no sense of balance. He is always laying on his side, and I am watching him carefully to decide what is best for him.
He did gain 2 oz since the vet visit. Until a bit ago, I had not seen him eating or drinking. He is standing kinda at the moment, and drinking water thank goodness. The wrap was undone, so I removed it completely.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom