Anyone ever had a quail with hernia?

Roomi the quail

Songster
Apr 14, 2018
Asia
My pet quail hen had suffered from egg related problems months ago, everything from soft(to none)shelled eggs, egg breaking within her, egg peritonitis and a quickly fixed vent prolapse. She miraculously recovered and I did everything to stop her laying and to get her into the molting cycle, so she got along fine until she started laying. On December 20th and 22th, she laid normal looking eggs but stopped afterwards although her belly was swollen as if she was going to lay anytime. I felt her belly and it was soft, so I thought another soft shelled egg was taking time forming in there and gave her antibiotocs for possible infection if indeed she was getting egg bound again. I finally brought her to a vet on Dec 31th and this is the part that I blame myself, that I didn't bring her to the vet sooner.

Vet discovered that her weight has abnormally increased(from usual 140g to 178g in a few weeks) then took some X rays. The result revealed possible hernia. It turns out that older hens with continued egg laying are extremely susceptible to this sympton. The vet said open belly surgery is often unsuccessful with birds so tiny, so it's best that I let her be, that grinding her feed to ensure her digest and possibly putting her in a hospital oxygen tank when it gets worse and start pressuring her air sac might help. At least he mentioned that some birds lived through this conditions for months, even years.

It brings me back to the question, has anyone ever had a quail with hernia? And did it live a painless life afterwards, albeit a short one? My quail is acting a little fatigued but she's eating and pooping quite normally now. However I have to make up my mind if something comes up and I need to know how to care for her. The vet did say that the next time she lays might be the end of her so I am limiting her light hours, for one thing. Maybe I can try straps around her belly to keep everything in place? Do I allow her to jump or dust bath? It may be my wishful thinking but I really want to believe that I can contain this condition, at least for a while.

I have never had a bird with a hernia. However, this said, its entirely possible that during the straining and stress she went through to end up with prolapse did indeed internally blow out something. Tissue is very soft and delicate, it can only take so much pressure and straining enough to push out the uterus might definitely cause some other internal damage.

I wouldn't risk surgery, tiny birds don't usually do well under anesthesia. I would watch her closely and let her live out her life, should she is no longer able to live a quality life, it might be best to put her down.

For now, enjoy her presence, let her be a bird and give her all the lovin'! :)

Back
Top Bottom