1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone ever hatch a double yolk egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cluckinchicken, Nov 1, 2009.

1. cluckinchicken

cluckinchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Ann Arbor
    You know the ones...you look at 'em and just say 'OUCH, that hadda hurt.'
    You know it has 2 yolks.

Ever hatch one?

Siamese twin chicks or what?
    2 heads?
    Hmmmm....

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I have often wondered if there was enough room in an egg for two developing chicks! good question! I hope someone answers it. Why don't you give it a try and get back with me? I do not seem to have any roosters.

3. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Some people have successfully hatched chicks from a double yolker, however, one seems to be more dominant, and the other embryo dies early on. Here in England, there was a case last week I think about 2 ducklings hatching from the same egg.

There was someone on here who accidentaley put a fertile double yolker in their incubator, however, both the embryos died.

Sure, there have been cases of double yolkers hatching- normally helped out- but either 1 or both will die, early on, during hatching- one wont have an aircell and may drown- or later on.

Ill find some links to double yolkers- there is a video on youtube- and I will edit my post to add them.

eggsrcool [​IMG]

ETA- The links as promised!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...itains-recorded-twin-ducklings-make-show.html

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  4. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I wondered if my last black copper maran baby to hatch had been from a double yalker. Her hatched four days after his hatch mates, literally just before I got ready to toss the eggs! He had to have help. My bad I know, but he was 4 days late and was STUCK! He had yellow GOO all over him that looked exactly like boiled egg yolk, exactly like it! He was weaker than his hatch mates. I put him in a seperate brooder with 1 buddy. After about a week he was ready to go back with his brothers & sisters. They are about 6 weeks old and I have no idea which one he is, so he must be fine [​IMG]

5. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    12 weeks ago I hatched a double yoker of barred rocks. When the dominant chick hatched, the other came out as well but hadn't absorbed the yolk yet and it died the next morning, the other is a healthy pullet out with the flock... I have heard of successful hatches where both chicks survive... [​IMG]

6. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Three years ago we had 5 eggs under our favorite little broody Hen. She was in the nursery coop all by herself...the day after 4 of the eggs hatched I went outside to check on her and the fifth egg was zipping...2 chicks came out of that egg. One chick was larger than the other but both survived. My brother in law who worked with chickens before he retired kept saying the little one will die, no way twins will live, if it lives it will have physical/mental problems. Well 3 years later Fanny and Peanut (the little twin) are still going strong. Both are great egg layers and both are wonderful Mammas each spring. Peanut was smaller than her siblings until she was about six months old, at that point she had a growth spurt and has been the same size as the rest ever since. They aren't "identical" in looks, Peanut has more of a red tint to her feathers than Fanny does...Fanny is more of a goldish buff.
    Michelle

7. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    The youtube video was really something! I was so nervous! I couldn't bear to watch the second one. WoW! thank you for posting that for us!

8. PaintedGemsRanch

PaintedGemsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    The youtube video is Rebecca from Tennessee. She is a member here, her handle is needmorechickens! She had a successful twin hatch. Here is the link to her thread.. Double Yolker Hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by