Anyone ever have a jealous chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cthrash1, Dec 10, 2008.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    My story of the day:
    I was out in the pen today and was taking some young ones one by one out of their house to show some of the older chickens slowly. I get some curious looks and an occasional I'm the boss of you stance toward a chick, then by the 3rd chickie my black Cochin bantam Lucytoo realizes I'm holding someone other than her obviously because she came over and started pecking my hand and trying to peck the chick. I put away the chickie and reach to pick her up and as she's climbing on my hand she is also pecking me, goofy girly. By the time I got done cuddling her and reassuring her that she is my special baby she was settling in and talking to me.

Chickens are just too funny... [​IMG]

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    funny you ask because I think my roo was the other day. One of my EE's has always been friendly toward me and follows me around, I think partly because she knows tall lady = food. When I turned to close the door the other day she was right behind me and my roo jumped up, pecked her on the head and she screamed in chicken and ran away.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Aww the poor thing...Boy he's possessive huh... [​IMG]

4. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

My first to mature Golden Comet, Annie, is the jealous type. When she squats, I dutifully rub her back, so when her sister started squatting I did the same for her. Well, Annie comes tearing over and pecks at my hand. Not hard, just like she was a little miffed. It was hilarious.

5. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    My daughter spends alot of time in the run. Sits on a chair with a couple chickens on her lap. Three of her girls are very, very competitive for lap space. Our little Andalusian pullet will peck the heck out of the others. It is pretty comical when she shows our big, goofy Turken who is THE lap chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by