1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone ever have a problem with Roosters knocking feathers off the hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blue Ridge Hillbilly, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Blue Ridge Hillbilly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Western NC
    I have several hens that are losing a lot of feather off their backs where the tail feather start. Not the tail feathers but on the back nearest the tail feathers. I think that the Roosters may be doing a lot of it or either then hens are picking out their own feathers. They are barred rocks and I am really getting concerned. I have three roosters and 24 pullets. Tomorrow I will have one rooster and 24 pullets. Any comments are really appreciated.

2. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I don't think they are "knocking" them off!

3. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    [​IMG] My wheaten hen looks like I have been plucking her feathers in the same place. I have tried to talk to the roo but he dosent care about looks he just wants to do his job at any cost [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Saddles might be helpful in this case. You can buy them on most poultry sites or you can make your own. There are patterns available here if you search the archives.

Good luck.

5. Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Blue Ridge Hillbilly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Western NC
    Before I buy saddles I will just chop three heads off. That is a lot cheaper.

6. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    lol thats just plain funny

7. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    It's 'overmating'. You have a good rooster/hen ration, but sometimes it just happens... The solution is to get some saddles (although it would be pretty expensive for 24 hens) or get rid of one of the roosters.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Duct tape. Run 2-3 stips across the affected area from under wing to under wing. When it falls off, put more on. It's cheap and it works. I hope you were joking about the head chopping.

9. zrossk

zrossk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by