Anyone ever heard of muskrats killing ducks?g on the mank of my pond

Quote:
they do not need to be hungry they are quiet bloodthirsty like a weasel , the best bait would be part of what they had already eaten put into a hole in the bank guarded by a 120 conibear type trap mink gland lure most times will cause a territorial response asa lennon makes some good lure they are available at most trapper supply houses

so today I lost the 3 black copper merans chicks I had my cochin hen hatch out of the $50 eggs I got from the BYC auction area. I did not loose any other hens, just the 3 3-4 week old chicks. I wonder if it is the same culprit. My pond is about 50 yards from my coop.

Last edited:
Quote:
they do not need to be hungry they are quiet bloodthirsty like a weasel , the best bait would be part of what they had already eaten put into a hole in the bank guarded by a 120 conibear type trap mink gland lure most times will cause a territorial response asa lennon makes some good lure they are available at most trapper supply houses

I have never known a mink or weasel to not make use of at least the blood of their victims and if left alone most of the rest of them.

True it may take a bit of time and they may kill a good number at once, they can and do cache and revisit their kills to eat what remains.

That is why that duck was partially in the hole and folks find chickens pulled into tunnels in dirt floored coops and easy to infiltrate runs and why it is easy to catch them in the same spot they killed by using what is left of their victims.

There are very few predators that exclusively hunt at night, a large number hunt around sunset and sunrise. There are a number such as mink who are found happily fishing in the middle of the day. We had one in the pond here that was frequently seen going after trout or swimming late morning early afternoon.

Everything I have read says they are noctournal. This happened in the daylight between 9am and 12p.

One afternoon I shot two young Muskrats AND the Mink that was trying to catch them​

OK Guys. I would like to hear from you experienced trappers. This is the trap I have coming

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110755253111?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and here is the lure

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370551064075?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

do these look like they shoudl work? I can take a picture of the location of the hole if it might help you guys tell me where I woudl be best suited placing the trap.

Should I have purchased multiple traps?

I thought about just getting some of the locking snares. I know it is not trapping season yet. I have permission form my local conservation officer to target anythign that is damaging my livestock.

Quote:
A little heavier than what's needed for mink [I usually use a #1] but it will work. They're hard to catch. You might consider doing a GOOGLE search for trapping techniques.

Quote:
that looks to be a food based lure (the castor and oil sac mentioned are from a beaver) a mink gland lure or a weasel lure with weasel glands in the lure will trigger a territorial response from the mink a food lure might work if they are hungry a gland lure works because it seems like a competitor is after their food supply. If you can find the trail they are using just narrow down the trail and set the trap where they have no choice to step between the jaws. HTH

Be sure to not handle the traps any more than is needed, use rubber gloves, and do something to dull the metal.

aprophet is right on the money in suggesting you do the Google routine.

Back
Top Bottom