Anyone ever heard the term "string men"?

lildinkem

Songster
10 Years
Feb 4, 2009
Indianapolis
I don't expect a huge bunch of replies with this thread. As a newbie, like many here, I am always learning. Yesterday was one of those milestone learnin days. I was lucky enough to talk to one of the OLD SCHOOL breeders who was a "string men". A breeder paid by county and state fairs to exhibit birds to assure the buildings were filled. IF the poultry buildings don't get filled in our fairs, the local poultry clubs can loose the use of that building in the future at fairs. So, these guys are part of our poultry heritage. Very few still do it. And when I did a search, I came upon this article by HOME GROWN POULTRY, they were talking about the OLD TIMERS and how things were done before, computers. Not only a learning experience, but alot of refreshing ideas of what is important to us BYCers.
Hope this is as good a read for you folks as it is for me.
OLD SCHOOL RULZ!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/12/index.html

No needles or booties are allowed on my property.

Last edited:
Quote:
Good article. There are still stringmen around, but none like there used to be. A good source about them is the 'Stringman's Scrapbook'. It's a great book, but hard to find. I look several years before I found a copy for myself. Back in the day, they would take boxcar loads by train to the shows and that is how they made their living. Some people would show a string of 500, even 1000 or more birds at fairs. They are the ones that kept the rare breeds from going extinct as well. Even nowadays, if I need a rare breed, I ask a friend of mine who is a stingman, and if he don't have it on his place, he can find if for me right away. (If it's to be found).

David

Rock N' Faverolles :

Quote:
Good article. There are still stringmen around, but none like there used to be. A good source about them is the 'Stringman's Scrapbook'. It's a great book, but hard to find. I look several years before I found a copy for myself. Back in the day, they would take boxcar loads by train to the shows and that is how they made their living. Some people would show a string of 500, even 1000 or more birds at fairs. They are the ones that kept the rare breeds from going extinct as well. Even nowadays, if I need a rare breed, I ask a friend of mine who is a stingman, and if he don't have it on his place, he can find if for me right away. (If it's to be found).

David

David, you are right. These guys are the older generations of breeders. Many don't know of or ever heard of BYC. The guy I reffered to is a great source for some birds. He is hooking me up with the best Black Orp breeder you never heard of. Jack says he is the best period. I want some! lololol AWESOME people to know. Flat out, go to your poultry shows and ask questions. Make a friend with one of the string men. IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. And you will be happy you did.
And I feel better about myself and my unique ways of raising healthier birds.​

lildinkem,
Yes, I know of two of them in Pa. One fellow lives over the mountain from me and boy you should see his Buff Orps they are the largest I have ever seen. I was at several auctions/shows with him and he buys the best birds that were auctioned off at these birds shows and he pays the price. He also goes to the local auctions hoping for a sleeper but generally they are just culls. His best friend is a well known and respectable judge whose family have been breeding and showing birds for many generations. Hard man to buy birds from generally. He also buys off of all the best breeders in the area that have birds for sale and they usually call him first. He is a real nice fellow and very helpful when asked questions by anyone.

Quote:
Boy I'd like to know that guy! I am hoping to get a White or two going here real soon. I won an auction from a Black Orp breeder, she is going to get me a few White Orp eggs to play with. Jack told me it has been 7 years since a White Orpington had been shown here in the Indiana State Fair. I promised him I would have a few ready for next year. So Harry, I guess time has come to dip into the Whites and do that voodoo I do so well with them. lolololol

Back
Top Bottom