Anyone ever kept a wild animal as a pet

I've never heard of someone dressing up a wild animal and pushing it around in a stroller. Perhaps I'm missing something.

But no
Moonshiner likes to dress his animals up in tutus and push them around in strollers.
Example:
C68D9FAD-5547-42B9-86B0-F7278FFB1502.jpeg

Last edited:
My Dad had a pet skunk. It used to travel in the glove compartment in his car. Loved watermelon and used a litter box like a cat.
I found a litter of wild rabbits in a neighbor's yard, when their dog was terrorizing them. I grabbed the dog and put it in the house. Found the babies and took them home. No way could i leave them in the yard to be eaten. They were tiny and didn't have their eyes open. I fed them, even taking them to school in a shoe box. Once they were old enough, i released them. They were too nervous to be good pets.

My Dad had a pet skunk. It used to travel in the glove compartment in his car. Loved watermelon and used a litter box like a cat.
I found a litter of wild rabbits in a neighbor's yard, when their dog was terrorizing them. I grabbed the dog and put it in the house. Found the babies and took them home. No way could i leave them in the yard to be eaten. They were tiny and didn't have their eyes open. I fed them, even taking them to school in a shoe box. Once they were old enough, i released them. They were too nervous to be good pets.
Yep, I had a baby rabbit, too. I forgot about that. And, you are certainly right about the nervousness. Actually, the one I had was scared to death and did not seem to be going to get over it. It would let you hold and pet it, but just seemed terrified. And, when it decided to jump or run, it could do it really, really well. lol I turned it loose after a couple of weeks or so when I knew it was old enough to take care of itself.

Hi all I just wondered if anyone has anyone has got or has ever had a wild animal as a pet?
I have had an orphaned fawn, an opossum, a couple raccoons, a crow and a magpie. Were they legal? Probably not. Did I care? No. The game warden did know I had the deer though. At that time there was a man in the area that shot deer out of season to feed his large family. That is most likely what happened to this fawn's mother. We lived in the woods so we didn't have to release him. He was never confined and he was in his natural habitat. I also had a skunk.

🛑Keeping a wild animal in captivity for any length of time, for any reason requires a permit, "wildlife rehabilitator". Keeping a wild animal is illegal and are protected by state laws, federal laws or both.

Thats not true for every area. It's best to check state and local laws first.

In AR I can keep any 2 non breeding animals of any not protected species without a permit. Right now the only 2 exceptions of that law are deer and skunks. Both of those have been added to the list within the last 5-10 years. When I had deer and my skunks they were still legal to own.

I'm also a rehabilitator now but due to health problems I don't take on anything long term anymore. My 2 coons are a special case since I grew up with them and wanted my son to do the same.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom