1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

anyone ever make a coop out of a trailer

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jimmythechicken, Jul 12, 2010.

1. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Songster

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    i might be able to get a 45 ft over the road food service trailer.it is insulated has abyone ever made one into a coop or have any ideas on how to set this up?how many chickens could i keep in it 45 ft x10ft wide or so? thanks jim

2. CheepSunglasses

CheepSunglasses Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    We thought about it. We have an old trailer on the property, but decided ultimately that it needed too much work. I think it would work just fine!

3. mickistoy

mickistoy Chirping

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    cant remember where i saw it but i have seen a pic of someone burying a full size school bus and turning it into a chicken coup! i dont see why you couldnt do it with a trailer. i would think the hard part would be windows for light/ventilation [​IMG] but i wish you best of luck!
    do it right and if you move....all you have to do is close the doors and roll out! CONVOY! BEAKER 1-9 ANYONE GOT A RADIO CHECK? [​IMG]

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    My only concern would be making sure it has adequate light and ventilation.

5. Cluckin'Along

Cluckin'Along Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Exeter, RI
    I've got a buddy that did it with a house trailer. It had windows though. He partitioned it into breeding pens, and cut holes in the long side to lead to the runs. He also stables his cow at the far end of it.... Works well for him and has plenty of light because of the Sliding glass door at one end, and the windows along the sides. If you could pop some windows in, you might be golden!

6. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Songster

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Do it! and post pics of your progress.

7. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Songster

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    i was thinking of cutting window holes down the side then put chicken wire over the holes i work for sysco an they give alot of there old trailers to farmers to keep hey an stuff in i will post it up if i try it.just think there is no way for preditors to get in at night it is about 5 ft of ground an all metal.

8. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Songster

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG]

9. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Songster

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    A reefer trailer should work very well. As others have pointed out you'll need to install plenty of ventilation and windows for light. Being a reefer the trailer already has double walls and should be easy to put windows in. Go for it!

Take plenty of pics and write an article about it when you're done. That would be one for the "stickys" .

Larry

10. turtlebird

turtlebird Songster

Dec 11, 2009
    45x10= 450 sq ft
    450 sq ft/ 4 sq ft per bird = A WHOLE LOTTA BIRDS~!
    about 112 standard birds plus one bantam!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by