Anyone ever purchased a meat package of chicks from Ideal?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by RubberChickenLubber, Jan 10, 2008.

1. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Just wondering what quality the chicks were and how many made it to maturity? I may get the 100, would consider the 200, but cannot find anyone to process and will have to do it myself.

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I bought Cornish Rocks from them, but just 5 not one of their package offers. When they arrived they had only put 4 in the box but charged me for 5. One died the following day, although it looked fine when it arrived. The three that are remaining are huge, I don't know how much the male weighs but I can hardly lift him with two hands. They need to be dinner but are so sweet and gentle, and now they are this big I don't know what would be the most humane way to kill them. My husband usually breaks their necks, but I don't know how well that would work on such a large bird. I think we might have to shoot them with a .22

3. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Just chop their heads off. Unless you get a perfect shot, shooting them may not be humane.

I bought 20 Cornish Xs and 10 black broilers from Ideal. I had one black broiler fail to thrive, and died with a week of arrival.

1 Cornish flipped on me at about the 4 week mark (which made me nervous that they were all going to do so!).

However, when all was said and done, I ended up with 28 birds in my freezer. 2 of the Cornishes made it past Round 1 of butchering and were 12 weeks on the day of processing; they were over 10lbs processed.

I would not buy Black Broilers again; the Cornishes I got had good meat texture and grew fast. The broilers took an extra 6 weeks, and the hens were still almost a pound shy of the Cornish weights.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by