Anyone ever raised a Turkey only to find they could not eat it?

There are chickens running wild all over that neighborhood.... just one street away. We can hear them crow in the morning we are so close... and all that does is insight our Jeffrey to more crowing. You can drive down any street in that neighborhood and count at least 20 birds and that's just the front yards. People put up chicken crossing signs on their streets and they all feed the birds. Some have coops in their back yards, other's don't. Anyone who moves into that neighborhood automatically has chickens. I wish we lived there and we wouldn't have to worry about complaints.
When my neighbor in back found out we had chickens, he said, "Why would I care?... I drive down the street and see and hear more than you have here".

And like I said, if he is slow at all, he will be eaten by two legged predators in that neighborhood.

I had a ordered a bumch of birds Brahmas from McMury I got straight run well half of them were roosters cant have that many so I was going to have some fine roosted chicken or fryed I was telling my husbamd and ask him to help me proses them and he would not he turned them lose in the yard and called them bug getters oh by the way he won't eat there eggs either But he will eat eggs from the store So in one week I lost 13 birds to the neighbers dogs I was mad So now I just buy hens If I decied to hatch out some I'll go buy a rooster.
People are funny I hope grocery are allways around in the future or alot of people will go hungry

Last edited:
Quote:
My two year old was in the yard yesterday and I saw the turkey posture at him. That sucker is freezer meat this weekend I swear it. The last thing I need is for that big dumb bird to think my two year old son is his mate and try to do his thing with him or think he is competition and attack him.
ep.gif
th.gif

Last edited:
Meat chickens are easy to eat. You don't get attached because they don't have any personality. They are gross and disgusting and eat all the time and sit in their poop. Besides you only have them for 8 weeks.

Pigs on the other hand forgot to get ugly and disgusting. I hope I can eat them. We haven't got them back from the butcher yet so I don't know.

Quote:
My pig was easy to eat because it decided to get loose and chase my kids in the yard. I relish every bite. If you've already sent yours to the butcher, what's the difference between your pig and the pig in the supermarket other than you know yours had a nice life first? If the deeds been done, eat up.
smile.png
BTW, the pig I raised tastes way better than anything in the store. Almost good enough to raise some more....Almost.

My sisterinlaw raised a turkey and had my brother kill it. When he brought it to her to pluck she asked why the feathers hadn't fallen off when he killed it. Not real bright!

Its only natural to kill a turkey when its time is up. You purchase them for meat birds, and they turn into pets? I'm sorry, just don't understand it.

I hope that nothing serious ever happens in this country because alot of people would not be able to take care of themselves.

Back
Top Bottom