Anyone ever raised a Turkey only to find they could not eat it?

We are raising 4 turkeys from day olds...there are funny to watch and really seem to enjoy human company. when i open the back door in the morning, they come running and are always underfoot when doing my chores in the yard. I wondered if i would get attached (we love our 'pet' hens) and more importantly if my son would. I like them just fine - but i'm sure looking forward to eating one at thanksgiving, and if you ask my son, he says we are gonna chop off their heads and eat 'em, then do it all again in the spring!

Last edited:
We are raising 3 geese for eating. Even named them "Christmas" as one will be Xmas dinner. My 13 year old son has said he really likes them and can we only eat one and keep the other 2. That was a shocker for me, but I have to confess I feel the same way.

I can see 2 of these geese dying of old age. LOL

We had three called Shadrack, Meshack and Abedneggo...you know, the three guys that had to go into the firey furnace, in the Bible? lol

ha ha ha that's funny! They made it out of the fire. Did the Turkeys receive the same supernatural pardon?
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I have wondered about this myself. But I know if they start causing problems like some posters have mentioned, I wont have a problem processing them.

I hope that nothing serious ever happens in this country because alot of people would not be able to take care of themselves.

I know that no matter what emotional attachment to something that I had, If my family was hungry, I would have NO problem at all processing it.​

We have two steers that we are raising for beef, my father in law named them brownie and soapsuds, because of their coloring, but my wife had already named them sirloin and T-Bone. They are pretty much a pain, so there wont be a problem slaughtering them come november.

I'm also fond of my friend's son's solution. She said no naming the meat birds, he wanted to. So they compromised... and named all of them Kenny.

i'm going to find it REALLY easy to kill those F$%^G turkeys. they are big escape artists!! they poop piles bigger than my horses, eat nonstop, are constantly getting into everything and the topping on the sundae!!! they got out and got into my chick brooder and squished 2 silkies and a showgirl. they're lucky i didn't have something to kill them with then. :thun

as for the meat chickens, i have a seperate place for them to grow and i never touch them except when needed and i definetly don't name them. i then have all my other birds to enjoy as pets.

We use sort of the same tactics as in the above posts! We name the chickens we plan to cull names of people who are mean and of whom wer are not too fond. Which leads to an interesting story:

One day a lady from our church, Donna, was over and the boys were telling her about killing "Vickie", which happens to be the name of one of the meanest and most obnoxious ladies at church. They gleefully told this lady that we named the chicken this as she is loud, bossy, mean and none of the other birds really like her. This lady got real quiet and then looked at me and asked, "Do you have one named Donna?"
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom