Anyone ever seen this before?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Feb 28, 2014.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Here's the back story:

This morning when I opened the coop, my normally peppy Silkie hen wasn't so peppy. She had a slight head wobble and seemed as though she couldn't see to hop down the one step to get out of the coop. So, I picked her up and sat her on the ground and made plans to give her crest a trim (she just finished molting, so it's larger than it has been in a while). I came back a little while later to find her in the same spot, then went back inside to get a few thing done. Later, I bring out some kitchen scraps and find her laying on her belly with her feet stretched out behind her. When I picked her up to examine her, I found some clear fluid oozing from her vent. She'd lost complete control of her legs and couldn't hold her head still enough to take water on her own. So, I brought her inside and gave her a soak in the tub. She managed to push out what looked like some scrambled yolk and a few bits of egg shell. A few baths later, I was satisfied nothing else was going to come out. She immediately seemed better after her last soak. I wrapped her in a towel and put her in my laundry room to dry off. When I checked on her a few hours later she was standing and could drink on her own again. She was also dry, so back to the coop she went. Which wasn't all that long ago.

When I put her down on the coop floor, she gobbled down some food, got water and high tailed it to the nest box. That's where she laid this monstrosity:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did NOT drop it, and the hen that laid this has never had any issues before. My Silkies are fed flock raiser with oyster shell on the side. I also feed their eggshells back in my kitchen scraps. Their roost is maybe 5" off the ground, so I don't think a fall would have done it. My rooster is pretty gentlemanly as well. The only thing different is I have a broody who just hatched chicks yesterday, and she didn't appear too particularly flustered when Ellie Mae (they layer of said egg) stopped by her box to investigate the peeping. I just have no idea. Has anyone else ever had anything like this happen? I'm pretty worried about her, even though she seems perfectly fine now!

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wrinkled eggs can sometimes be a sign of having infectious bronchitis now or in the recent past. It may have been only a mild strain that wasn't noticed. Symptoms are sneezing and watery eyes with some nasal drainage. With IB, there is usually runny whites in the egg. Here is a good article on egg abnormalities: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've noticed no sneezing, watery eyes or nasal drainage. The egg whites in all of my eggs have been completely normal. The picture really doesn't do this egg justice. It isn't just wrinkled, it looks pieced together. Like someone broke a vase into a million pieces and glued it back together again.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The wrinkled egg is not a diagnosis of IB, even though I have read that before on here. It's just a possible cause. I have had one of those eggs before, and none any time afterward. If you looked at the link, there can be several causes of wrinkled eggs. Your particular egg doesn't look exactly like the one in the link.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by