Anyone ever try the dry hatch method before?

Quote:
hi quintinp,

can u explain further about quail hatching. i just had a dismal result of my two hatches. i hv a DIY styrofoam incubator.

first hatch - 9 out of 60 shipped eggs. was opening incubator to turn, 50% humidity for the first 14 days, 70% during lockdown.
second hatch - 8 out of 100. turned eggs without opening incubator. tried dry hatch - had 35% hum during first 14 days, 70+ during lockdown.

in both cases, they hatched during the 15th day and was over in 24 hours.
during the second hatch, temp was erratic during lockdown, a couple of times shooting to 105 for some hours. i think i fried most eggs.
i want to try my 3rd hatch, altho i told dh i will just hatch my own eggs. but if i made the big mistake of trying dry incubation, i'd like to try again, coz i re designed my incubator after the first and i want to test it correctly.

your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

I use an LG to incubate too then put the chicken eggs in a homemade bator to hatch with a bowl of water, and keep the quail eggs in the LG with water in the bottom container thing. I monitor the humidity the whole hatch, but don't add water until the end. The humidity is usually around 30%-40% during the incubation period, and 60%-70% after lockdown.
smile.png
Oh! And I also have a dimmer knob on my LG bator's temp stem to fine-tune the temperature. I saw to do that on a BYC thread, but I have since lost the link....

Quote:
were you hatching quails with "humidity is usually around 30%-40% during the incubation period, and 60%-70% after lockdown"? what was your hatch rate? how many hatched out of how many eggs? did u hatch your own eggs or were they shipped?

Quote:
hi quintinp,

can u explain further about quail hatching. i just had a dismal result of my two hatches. i hv a DIY styrofoam incubator.

first hatch - 9 out of 60 shipped eggs. was opening incubator to turn, 50% humidity for the first 14 days, 70% during lockdown.
second hatch - 8 out of 100. turned eggs without opening incubator. tried dry hatch - had 35% hum during first 14 days, 70+ during lockdown.

in both cases, they hatched during the 15th day and was over in 24 hours.
during the second hatch, temp was erratic during lockdown, a couple of times shooting to 105 for some hours. i think i fried most eggs.
i want to try my 3rd hatch, altho i told dh i will just hatch my own eggs. but if i made the big mistake of trying dry incubation, i'd like to try again, coz i re designed my incubator after the first and i want to test it correctly.

your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Right now I am keeping the humidity at 45% in the incubator, and it refuses to go any higher, but I am not gonna mess with that stuff until lockdown.

Best results so far with dry incubation, adding water at day 18 (or 19 if its real humid to start) QUESTION to hot2pot; are those splash polish in your photo?? I would be interested in some of those I think, nice!!!

D.gif

@ GrannyPat; you added NO water at all? Not even at the end?? Wow!!
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif

I am so glad that you posted the info about the dry hatch method. The stuff that I could find in the archives were from a few years ago and no one could say from own experience. I have tried several hatches with the instructions for keeping the humidity high. I followed it to a t and still had aonly 6 hatch out of 40.
The next time i had only three hatch. It seemed that the chicks were very wet and they would dry with their feathers all stuck to them. I live in south Texas and it is humid most of the time. I think that I had been drowning these poor babies. When I would open shells-all had formed chicks. I have been trying to read and learn as much as I can about it and I am going to try it. What I read said that you would keep an eye on the huumidity and not let it get over 25.

m.r.heavenlyhens :

I am so glad that you posted the info about the dry hatch method. The stuff that I could find in the archives were from a few years ago and no one could say from own experience. I have tried several hatches with the instructions for keeping the humidity high. I followed it to a t and still had aonly 6 hatch out of 40.
The next time i had only three hatch. It seemed that the chicks were very wet and they would dry with their feathers all stuck to them. I live in south Texas and it is humid most of the time. I think that I had been drowning these poor babies. When I would open shells-all had formed chicks. I have been trying to read and learn as much as I can about it and I am going to try it. What I read said that you would keep an eye on the humidity and not let it get over 25.

Yep, you want a digital hygrometer/thermometer, the hygrometer is very great to have.​

Okay, I needed this post, too!

Since the summer hit, my hatch rates have gone completely downhill. I am thinking I should try this with our final attempt.

Those who have had success.... I'm guessing location and time of year also plays a role? I'm in the hot humid muggy south! I'm sure it makes a difference...

Back
Top Bottom