Anyone ever try this to induce brooding ?

JimnJanet

Songster
11 Years
Jan 29, 2008
S.W Pa.
I have two nest boxes and with the help of a wonderfull ceramic/glass(?) egg i found i now have my 8 girls using both boxes for laying. I was thinkin about leavin 6er8 eggs in one of the boxes and only collecting from the 2nd box in the hopes that one o' my girls will go broddy over the full nest ???
Anyone ever try this and did ya git any success?
Also, i have 5 gilrs layin in the original box and 3 layin in the now used 2nd box. Whitch one do ya think i should try leavin the eggs in and which one should i collect from ?
Thanx, Jim

Oh yeah, and how many eggs would ya leave under her ?

EDITED:
After reading a few responses, here are what kind of girls i have, buff orps x with ? They are 7-8 months old there 'bouts.

Picture027Small-2.jpg

Picture029Small-1.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure what to tell you but maybe fixing the typo in your header will help, the way I understand it is you are trying to INduce broodiness not unduce....just a thought to get you more help.....

It might be a good idea to use something other than real eggs, since if they don't get set on they'll end up all stinky and rotten. I've been reading about broody stuff on here and a lot of people have been using golf balls as 'eggs'. That's the only suggestion I can give, since my chicks are still just that - chicks. I don't have any broody experience. Just an idea!!! Good luck!

Broodiness is hormonal. You can't make it happen with eggs in a nest. Leaving eggs in a nest can induce egg eating. You won't break an egg eater as easy as you can break a broody hen -which isn't easy.

Some hens NEVER go broody in their entire life - especially not some breeds of hatchery hens.

im also trying to intice my chickens into going broody the same way just because my last incubatore batch didnt turn out its kinda working my ducks are laying on them

i have a question though how long can they leave the eggs?

Last edited:
I disagree with you MissPrissy, no offence, I have found that when I leave a clutch of eggs in a nest or 2, I can get a hen or 2 to go sitting, I never leave real eggs, always fake eggs and I use the old glass hand blown eggs. I do agree that not all hens and/or certain breeds will not go broody. I have some hens that if I want them to go to sitting, all I have to do is let some fake eggs in the nest and with in the week they or one will be sitting on some eggs waiting to hatch em out. Thanks.........ed

For a fact you can intice broodiness by leaving eggs real/fake in the nest, that is if the strain is known for being broody..I set 20 or so game type hens per year on pheasant eggs, If eggs are left in the nest they lay around 12-15 eggs and go to setting, If eggs are taken away they will lay 40 or more eggs before locking down on a empty nest

this is very interesting, I thought it was all hormonal. But what you are saying is that by leaving the eggs, it changes their hormones to want to set? That is the way I am understanding. I wanted to joing the April swap, but none of mine are broody. I have some that went broody last spring, and summer. Would those be more likely to go broody again?

Back
Top Bottom