Anyone ever walk their chickens on a leash?

do you put it underneath the wings? Im very interested in trying it and there are funny videos on youtube of it as well!

From the looks of silkiechickenlover post she just looped the around the chest and brought each side of the leash under the wings, and clipped the snap. I tried my roo and he flipped out,

do you put it underneath the wings? Im very interested in trying it and there are funny videos on youtube of it as well!

OK! lol so i took a skinny leash (as u can see) i put the leash in the hook to make a circle. then i put the circle on my chicken where it is right under their crop and its never by the legs. I put the hook part right between there wings and tuck the rest under there wings and tighten it so that it is comfortable. What i personally like about this method is it will never go tighter then what you put it at. It will never squeeze the bird. Say if you were gently...GENTLY... to tug it for some reason then it wont tighten nor hurt the bird! but dont get a thick leash becasue then it might be uncomfortable for the bird's wings to be like tht. its like putting a blanket around your armpits.....it isnt comfortable! Have fun walking your chickens!!! make sure u never tugg on them or lift them off the ground!!! POST PICTURESSSSSSSSSSS

I've actally tried that with my silky hen marmellow,I used a cat harness and a dog leash. i thought i had created something of my own. But ,i guess not. Three years ago i gt the crazy idea to walk my only silky hen on a leash and that definitly turned some heads in my nieborhood! and my sister and i were thinking of taking our dog, our cat, our two rats, and marshmellow all on leashes to Petsmart, next time we go.

Cool idea!!
thumbsup.gif

I have a harness its a bird one, didn't realise we could use doggy ones lol, I will get a doggy one too for my other pets, so I can walk 2 at a time, I have a question thou. How do you get chickens to follow you, I have some that just do follow me like a bad smell. but my favourite boy, whom I want to walk isn't as interested in me :( I think I need to spend more time with him perhaps, I could most definitely walk my runner ducks they all follow mum. thou my geese don't like to get to close I never even thought about walking them how exciting lol. I am going to walk everyone at least once :p hehe.

Let me know if there are any tips or tricks to getting chickens to want to follow you, I just don't like the idea of pulling them along somewhere, or having them try their darndest to run off =s

That's so awesome to see other crazy bird people! My husband flies the medical helicopter around here and the base is surrounded by dandelions, which my husband is deathly alergic too. I've been joking for ages that once our ducks come I'm going to strap harnesses and leashes on them and let them go to town on all the weeds and bugs that grow in the field around there. I was laughing about it to one of the nurses who just got ducklings and she started laughing saying she'd have to do it to. Of course since the helicopter base is right off the highway we both cracked up at the thought of everyone seeing two people, one of which in a flight suit, walking around the helipad with ducks on leashes.

That's so cute! Is the leash around her chest? I might have to try that!
Loco seems very sweet and looks very assertive, too. What a good girl!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom