Anyone Familiar with **COMPLEX MIGRAINES**?

My son went through something simaler back in June they thought it was a seizure actually... But after reading what your daughter went through it does sound more like a complex migrain.. They ran a battery of tests on him including an EEG which he had no issues with... As for the medicine my mother {gypsy} was talking about he is on peridactin or the generic name is ciproheptadine 4 tsps at bed time every night and has only had one break through episode since june that was no where near as bad as the first time... They still dont know what caused it or to much about it but they did find something that made it bearable for the little guy... I wish I could offer you more information but I honestly am searching for answers to what happened to him much as you are searching for answers for what happened with your daughter.

I am a migrain suffer also and actually had an odd one this past monday, it knocked me on my butt for 2 days and my head still feels odd... I have never been one to have the classic symptoms of migrains and the dr does think some of my sons headaches come from mine,as they tend to be hereditary. The other from the accident he had when he was 2... If you find out anything more about these complex migrains please let me know as I would like to talk with my sons dr about the possability... My mom was hopefull I would be helpfull to you but honestly Im as lost as you are with these headaches and any help/information would be greatly appriciated.. I will keep your daughter in my thoughts and prayers and hopefully it was a one time thing and she will never get one that bad again.

Last edited:
I come from a long line of migraine sufferers. I had a stroke from a migraine on my 30th birthday. My son used to suddenly go blind for a few minutes or pass out rom them. The best thing to do is to see a neurologist. They tend to be more up to date about treatments. You would be amazed at the number of doctors that are clueless about migraines. Your DD needs to avoid the common trigger foods and strong scents. Another common trigger is an irregular sleep pattern. I know it's hard for a teenager, but going to bed and getting up at regular times goes a long way in helping. Also, maintaining regular meals and snacks. Swings in blood sugar can bring on huge migraines. Many teenagers suffering from migraines are actually suffering from hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). This is what happened to DS. He had the later lunch period in high school. By the time he got to lunch, his blood sugar was on the low side of normal. He ate lunch and the blood sugar went up quickly. Because of the fast rising bs, his body over produced insulin. The over production of insulin caused the blood sugar to drop too quickly. It would cause a huge migraine, temporary blindness and sometimes passing out. The cure was simple. Three regular meals (along with an earlier lunch) and moderate healthy snacks in between. And absolutely NO SUGARY SODA! The pop would cause sudden spikes and crashes in the blood sugar. We were fortunate that we have family knowledge of migraines and a doctor that knew something.

Also, be aware that many migraine triggers don't cause a migraine right away. Many foods, like yogurt, chocolate and aged cheese can cause a migraine days after they are eaten.

I've just seen this, pulling it up accidentally while looking for 'dangerous chocolate' cake!

I want to tell you, however, that I and my 3 sisters get these, as well as your standard migraines. I have one sister who also gets cluster migraines.

We believe the migraines in general are familial responses to hormones, as well as to stress- obvious answer. To give you info that may or may not help, since I haven't seen an update since the neuro doc, I'd like to start by saying there's hope, and there's control.

Both of these things are huge hope to chronic sufferers, and I hope info can prevent your daughter from becoming such.

I may be a mynah to your Dr., but I'll say it all anyway:

1. If it's hormonal, you can take large doses of ibuprofen starting 4 days prior to the date that seems to be the onset. For me it is the day I actually start to bleed, so I take meds at T-minus-4. I take them daily and keep a single dose of hydrocodone 5/500 APAP in my purse- just in case. If I start to get "floaters" that don't look right (I'm super nearsighted and have had retinal perforations that caused real floaters, so I have to look for ones I don't recognize) or if I start to feel really nauseous without reason, I take 1/2 the hydrocodone. It's not enough codeine to affect my functionality, but it's enough to stop or stall the onset.

2. It may be dietary. There's a new surge of people being affected by gluten, and it can cause migraines and clusters, among other symptoms. There is a controversial naturopath diagnosis of 'leaky-gut syndrome' that deals with these reactions due to the near-identical molecular presentation of gluten to certain natural neurotransmitters. You could try gluten-free dietary standard for a month to see how it goes.

3. If she can recognize the symptoms prior to onset of pain, she may be able to use standard 'triptans' for stall or prevention of onset. If she has pain in her scalp, or if she complains (when able) her hair 'hurts,' then she's not a good candidate for triptans and you might look at preventative methods.

4. Some theories about this type suggest spasms, and Topamax and other anti-spasmodics/anti-seizure meds work work well for some when taken on a daily low-dose basis. This works for 2 sisters, but not for me, and the other has great success with triptans, so she lucked out.

We all appear drunk when afflicted. My onset is sometimes to start suddenly throwing up for no reason. Sometimes it's low grade pain. Sometimes it's visuals.

One sister has tons of warning, and if she doesn't take some measure of prevention, she ends up a zombie and has been in psych at the hospital because they had no clue at the ER. She knows the signs, thank God.

One is on a cocktail of preventatives, as it's the only way.

One keeps Maxalt or Imitrex with her at all times.

We all avoid gluten, as 2 are diagnosed with celiac, and trials have shown us that wheat gluten contributes to the onset, and for me, it may mean the difference between a 'normal' migraine and a dip into the unknown dimentia of the complex.

Now that I'm 38, I'm getting a 3rd version- still hormone-triggered, but the neurologist says it's an unpredictable version that can happen with the sudden wayward flux of peri-menopause...and that can last a decade or more!

Wheeee!

PM if I can help, and I hope all is well for you and your DD. Mine are just aging into this mess at 11 and 13, too.

Back
Top Bottom