Anyone get any of the green egg layer mixes that came from MPC?

Bocktobery 10

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2010
Hi,

I didn't really know where to post this, and I hope that someone might be able to answer this inquiry.

I bought some chicks from My Pet Chicken and they got delivered in the first week of July, I think it was. The chicks were absolutely beautiful and healthy (best I've ever seen) when they arrived. They didn't look stressed at all. I was so pleased.

I was especially taken by a little light grey chick which was one of the 3 green egg layer "mutts" (mixed breeds to get a green egg result) that were in my order. I was really looking forward to seeing her mature and what shade of green color egg she would lay. But sadly though, I lost my little light grey chick today to a car. She was the sweetest one in the bunch, and adorable too. She had a cute tuft of feathers on top of her head, because, I assume she had Creme Legbar genetics. Here is a pic of her about two months ago:

Here she was as a chick:

I'm half writing this because I'd like to know what kind of mix she was. I"m guessing her other half was a Maran of some sort, but I'm not sure. I thought maybe one of you chicken breed experts out there could help ID what kind of mix she was. ( Maybe I should ask My Pet Chicken if they know, too).

She was just a great bird overall and even though I know I can't replace her with another, I'd like to get some more like her, because she just had the type of traits I like to see in a bird. I was also wondering if anyone has any like her purchased from MPC. I'd like to know what they think of the mix or if theirs looks similar- I imagine you can get all kinds of looks and traits from mixes.

She was so unique and I'm still grieving over her loss.. granted, it has only been about four hours now. I hate days like this.

So sorry about the loss of your pullet, :hugs she was a very pretty girl, lovely color.
MPC usually gets their chicks from Meyer, Meyer makes Olive Eggers using either Legbars or Ameraucanas and Marans... with the crest your girl is most probably a Legbar X (Blue Copper) Marans cross.
Off the Meyer website ... "By crossing some of our foundation stock of Legbars, Marans and Ameraucanas we can create these wonderful little hybrids who will lay (drum roll) an olive colored egg! There is no guarantee which of the two breeding programs your chicks will originate from, but you will be delighted by the varied color patterns of these chicks. "

Thanks so much for your response, Kelsie. Her markings as a chick do resemble the Blue Copper Marans chicks that I've seen.

Basically the MPC write up on the Olive Eggers says the same thing as the Meyer. I realize now its hard to know.

Back
Top Bottom