Anyone get wrong chicks when getting shipped eggs??

TedJan92_in_Idaho

Songster
12 Years
May 27, 2011
Cocolalla Idaho
Anyone had a problem getting wrong colored chicks when buying eggs. First hatch had 2 solid yellow chicks that are feathering out white and this time I have a black and yellow chick. I gave the 2 yellow ones away the other day. These are supposed to be Lavender Orpingtons. Makes me wonder if the rest may be crossed up or did they just get the eggs wrong. Eggs are to expensive for this to be happening to be getting ones you didn't order

I ordered 24 chicks from a local hatcher, she had a deathin the family and I was instructed to go pick the chicks up from a friend of hers, I got all sorts of different stock and I havent' heard from her to trade them out so I will keep what I have and think twice about ordering anything. Good luck with your birds!
duc.gif

I guess if they don't have them separated they could get crossed but you wouldn't expect someone to sell anything but mutts if they were doing that, they wouldn't know what they had.

I'm thinking your eggs got crossed up. Have you asked the seller?

Are your lavender orps pure or splits? I hatched some beautiful pure project lavender orpingtons from Glenda Charm 1704 in the Auction and they are gorgeous!!!
They are the yellow and silvery chicks in these pics. The dark ones are bcms.

marans2.jpg

marans3.jpg

These were supposed to be pure and were marked that way. I didn't think much of it the first time and then this time I have a black chick.

Yes I did get in touch the first time and they wanted pics but my daughter took the camera because she needed it for her photography class.
sad.png

Really not about the cash. I just sort of feel cheated. If I even thought I had made a mistake I would of put them in a skillet or set them for myself

I am just done with ordering eggs. Order a couple of dozen and only a few hatch and I have chicks that I don't want and don't know what they are.

I am only wanting to breed a few chickens. I have chosen 3 breeds and that's it. I don't have the room for something I'm not breeding. I was going to cull the yellow chicks but gave them to a young lady after she begged her mother for them.

I have noticed with my lavenders that I get splash a lot of the time when I breed lav to lav. I will get a few yellow or yellow&lav. and an occasional black. I have kept them and they have ended up being lavender or a splash so you might want to check the person you gave them too? I did ship eggs this spring and a gal emailed me the she got a lavender bantam? Whats up with that? I was floored but she swore she did. It must of been a fluke? I have breeding pens and no bantams that could even get close to breeding a lav. orp. I do add extra marked eggs when I ship to be nice but always mark them.
Quote:

I got a tan/yellow/brown striped chick in a batch of blue/black/splash ameracuanas

sad thing was he couldn't be saved because of a very bad case of wry neck (I tried for quite some time and got tired of him relapsing so I had to cull him)

also got two very cute little cayuga mixed ducklings in a batch of muscovy eggs .. healthy as all get out and the seller shipped me more eggs to make up for the mix up
funny thing is they HATE the little muscovys that hatched out of that batch (absolutely terrified of them and panic the entire time they are near them)... so I'm not sure if I will end up giving them away or letting them live with the chickens

Back
Top Bottom