Anyone getting sick?

mtnhomechick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Mountain Home, AR
Last year when I had chicks in the house I had a droopy right eyelid for a couple months.

This year it's sore throat and swollen gland.

I have them in a separate room with all doors closed.

I think I have to wait til warmer weather next year.

Anyone else get sick from babies???

It sounds like an allergy. My kids get those symptoms if they eat the wrong foods or are exposed to weed killer. That's a shame. I don't know how you feel about antihistamines but Benadryl might help til you can get them outside.

Thanks.........been taking two every night. I can't take them during the day cause they knock me out. Just praying for warm weather here. I have an outdoor shed but temps in the 30's tonight.

Same weather here, this can't last much longer, right? I hope you feel better. The swollen throat thing always spooks me with the kids.

I hope you feel better soon! My Mom was trying to tell me about someone she knew with similar symptoms. The woman moved into a newly purchased home where the previous owners had ALOT of birds inside. Mom's trying to tell me the new resident has "THE Bird Flu"
idunno.gif

I can really tell a difference when I do not have babies in the house! I get really sick when they are in here. When I moved them to the screened porch, I felt much better! It is warmer out there than in here! lol

Why can't I see my misspelled words BEFORE I submit?

Last edited:
It's like knowing booze is bad for you but ya just gotta have more.

I really am a Chickaholic......and I'm paying the price.

Soon, they will be grown enough to be out and I will be so glad to have them.

I really am SICK
barnie.gif

I started my 14 chicks in the house in November, and they made me sick too. They made my throat full of drainage and all gaggy feeling, it was horrible. I had to kick them out. I don't think I'll ever have chicks inside again.

You might still be able to put them in your shed! I put my wire brooder in a large cardboard box, and then put two 250 red heat lights on top of the brooder cage itself. It was 2 degrees outside, and the chicks were toasty and warm at 95 degrees right under the lamps. I didn't have any deaths. (Aside from one Polish who wouldn't eat, but she had issues not related to the cold.)

It could be an allergy to chick dander, too.
hmm.png
Just like some people are allergic to dog/cat dander. I'm sorry your babies are making you sick! I would be so sad if that happened here! I'm allergic to just about everything else, but thankfully not chickens!

Back
Top Bottom