Anyone give their dog supplements?

ShrekDawg

Chicken Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Anybody else feed supplements to their dogs?

I was just reading the reviews for a dog food on Chewy and one of them said their dogs yeasty ears were clearing up with the dog food, meds from vet, and geneflora (probiotics). So naturally I decided to look this up, which I actually had heard of before, and then Amazon suggested some other stuff, we all know how that goes. I had heard of those too so ordered all 3. Then I was thinking of making a post seeing if anyone heard of it and was trying to think of some hip supplements I'd heard of and couldn't think of them. Well turns out I had saved them in a wish list on Amazon. So found those and bought those too after I had ordered the other stuff, though one review said the basic one wasn't a great concentration for large dogs so I upgraded to the L-5000 (you'll see what I mean).

Anyway, this is everything I ordered. (ETA: At the end, rambled longer than anticipated). I know it seems like a lot and some of the stuff certainly is very expensive but the thing is is that some of these were recommended to me months ago and I avoided buying them due to the cost. Well, I figured I may as well just shell it out since I waste money buying lots of little things anyways. I will be honest though it was nothing more than an impulse purchase. BUT. I wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't all come highly recommended previously.

I am hoping it helps him and he eats it.

He is actually very healthy and doing well rotating between Wellness CORE original and Zignature dry dog foods, sometimes other brands. For Zignature we have only tried 4 flavors out of I think 7. One or two he hated, the others he loved. Hoping to try them all.

But anyway, my point was he's healthy but he gets ear infections occasionally and the last one he was on meds and the vet cleaned his ears and said they were really dirty and a little bit yeasty. He had one off and on recently that went untreated but seems better now and will hopefully go back to the vets soon.

So I am hoping the probiotics and the food help with his ears.

Then he also has a bad hip/leg that he injured a few years ago and was having some issues even before the injury and occasionally still limps. Just has some bad hips I think since he came from a BYB. They were very nice, couple with a son and had a small farm, but I think they just didn't really do any testing, which woulda been fine but clearly there's something wrong somewhere in the lines, one hip was a little loose and vet said it was genetic. Could be a big breed thing too. I don't know. He has bad hips though.

SO.

I am really really hoping that these can FINALLY help him feel better!!!

Like I said, his ears don't seem to bug him atm but good preventative care anyway, but his hips seem to bug him just a bit. He is still a very happy active boy, running around in short bursts, very playful, can leap up onto beds and things, but if you look closely I can just tell. Plus it will prevent issues as he ages.

Speaking of which, he was also neutered at 4 or 5 months, I,think 4, because our old vet had said he was "plenty big enough" and was humping everything. A few years later we learned of all the issues associated with early neutering, especially large breeds, and deeply regret it. I believe this has maybe caused some issues too. Not to mention, young hormonal puppies humping stuff is normal and we could have managed it but oh well.

I also wish we had known about this for our yellow Lab. We put him down in 2009 at 13 (we got him at 18 months) because he couldn't even get up anymore and it was "time" but also my aunt was coming down and he had a gross hump on his back. He was also on **** food his whole life and I don't think we ever did his nails (which is also very important and can have huge impacts on arthritic dogs. That may be contributing to Gators problem, he hasnt let us do his nails in months). If only we knew then whatwe knew now maybe Bailey could have had a few more years of life. Sad too because I remember saying that he still had life in his eyes and that in his mind he was a puppy but his body was telling him no and that it was "time." Wonder if it really was. Oh well.

Anyhow, I talked way more than I intended to so very sorry. But does anyone give their dog supplements and if so, any of these ones or others?

Also, I don't even know if it's even safe to feed all of these together?

http://www.amazon.com/Cycles-Life-Geneflora-Pets/dp/B000NVBZ5K

http://www.amazon.com/Viva-Labs-Finest-Organic-Coconut/dp/B00DS842HS

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-All-Natural-Supplement-Pump-Bottle-Dispenser/dp/B0002ABR6E

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Health-Glucosamine-Chondroitin-Package/dp/B00DJHZOWA

http://www.amazon.com/Nutramax-Dasuquin-Chewables-Large-Count/dp/B000MCVGEA

Last edited:
No, I don't. There are added vitamins and minerals in their kibble, but that's it. I don't think food would clear up an ear infection. My former dog had a recurrent problem in his ears, but it was just because of the shape of his ears, they trapped moisture and provided a good environment for fungus.

I looked at glucosamine and chondroitin when I found out I had arthritis in my knee. Tests show it doesn't do anything. I expect it would be the same with dogs.

No, I don't.  There are added vitamins and minerals in their kibble, but that's it.  I don't think food would clear up an ear infection.  My former dog had a recurrent problem in his ears, but it was just because of the shape of his ears, they trapped moisture and provided a good environment for fungus.  

I looked at glucosamine and chondroitin when I found out I had arthritis in my knee.  Tests show it doesn't do anything.  I expect it would be the same with dogs. 

That makes sense. I doubt food alone would do anything. But on some reviews their vets recommended eliminating potatoes, sugar, oatmeal, starchy stuff, etc. And that could possibly help with yeast but I don't know if it's been proven. This particular food didn't have that stuff so who knows. Does your dog have a real unique ear shape or just floppy or fluffy ears? Cause I know sometimes the real floppy or fluffy ears can trap water and moisture and warmth and stuff too.

And really? Wow that's interesting. So I wonder then if maybe the glucosamine was a waste of money? :/ it had good reviews so wasn't sure. Either way I hope at least one thing helps him.

Does your dog have a real unique ear shape or just floppy or fluffy ears?
He just had floppy down ears, where his ear canal was covered over by ear instead of all open to the air the way "standing up" ears allow. My dog now has very hairy ears, whereas my previous dog (not the one with the ear problems) had no hair in her ears. This dog has had an infection when she got a bit of grass down her ear.

He just had floppy down ears, where his ear canal was covered over by ear instead of all open to the air the way "standing up" ears allow.  My dog now has very hairy ears, whereas my previous dog (not the one with the ear problems) had no hair in her ears.   This dog has had an infection when she got a bit of grass down her ear.  

Ohhh okay. Yeah, my dogs ears are floppy too so that could be the cause im sure. He doesnt really have hairy ears though.

Yeah, my dogs ears are floppy too so that could be the cause im sure.
It's definitely a cause of it. Cocker spaniels and that type of dog are very susceptible. Hairy ears also trap moisture more than "un-hairy" ears. Plucking out the hairs is a part of my girl's beauty treatments, I never had to pluck my other dogs' ears, they weren't hairy like this one.

For the ear infections get some liquid garlic oil extract and an eye dropper and drop a few drops in the ears every two weeks or every month... It smells but it should help with the ear infections as it's a mild natural antibiotic and anti-fungal as well as natural pest repellent...

Thanks, that seems like a good idea! I'll try that! :)

It's definitely a cause of it.  Cocker spaniels and that type of dog are very susceptible.  Hairy ears also trap moisture more than "un-hairy" ears.  Plucking out the hairs is a part of my girl's beauty treatments, I never had to pluck my other dogs' ears, they weren't hairy like this one. 

Yeah, our golden used to get horrible ear infections. The hairy ear thing makes sense. And you can't shave it? Seems it would be easier hah

Back
Top Bottom