Anyone giving chicken for Christmas gifts?

i give the guy who plows my driveway a frozen chicken from our summer flock and a dozen brown eggs - we barter all the time like this and since he is a single guy who works two jobs, he enjoys getting fresh stuff or good frozen stuff he can use.
works for both of us.

DH and I would be delighted with homegrown chicken for christmas. Both sides of our family would also be pleased. My intuition would be Country Folk would appreciate the gift, City folk might not. We're obviously all Country Folk.

You could give them the makings for a nice chicken dinner and a gift certificate for the chicken when they're ready. Possible things to give in a basket:
Box of couscous
Preserved lemons
Nuts
Dried fruit
Rice
Seasoning salt
Wine
Pasta like orzo
Brownie mix
etc...

(Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? That's a great place to get cheap nonperishables that are somewhat exotic.)

We are haveing our family Christmas get to gether here at my home Sunday. Everyone brings a gift....and we draw names. As your name is drawn, you pick a gift from the pile. This way works for our family. There are no "favoritisms" and its all good!
I am makeing 2 gift baskets....
Breakfast

Pancake mix
Syrup
Fresh baked bread
3 different home made jams/jellies
Eggs
peaches
and a coupon for either fresh bacon or sausage( from our pig)

Dinner
Canned Ham
potaotes
home canned green beans( or corn thier choice)
Bread and butter pickles(home canned)
Fresh made rolls
Peaches.
Both will get kitchen towels and pot holders....

I was talking to my sisters son the other day, I asked if he was coming....he said he wasnt sure, because he can not afford a gift. His hours were cut back to 18 hrs a week, and they have a 1 yr old. I told my sister.....bring a cooler...I will fill it with a fresh turkey, a few chickens, and slip in some pork. Enough to get them through for a few weeks. She of course told him, he called me crying telling me how thankfull he is...then got ME crying. Soe epople appreciate it...some dont...and some EXPECT it.
idunno.gif

When I was growing up we always received a hog or a half side of beef from my grandfather for Christmas. He would send a Christmas card with a note and we would pick it up from the butcher. You could give a stuffed animal with a gift certificate for some home raised chicken, although some might find that a touch off, depends upon the recipient. The suggestion for a basket with the fixings for a chicken dinner and a gift certificate sounds great.

I'm taking some of my meat chickens to my brother's for an after Christmas get together. We will make processing and cooking the roos a family activity. They have chickens and are short on laying hens, so I am taking a few of them as well.

Hey, I get to cull my flock, get help processing, and give a wanted gift all in one!

I will also give away eggs to people at work who want them. One lady gave me some of the best cookies I have ever eaten and she credited them to my fresh eggs. What a great trade/ exchange of gifts!

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm drooling just reading down through your list. THis is a great idea. I think I'll give a few "chicken" baskets, making sure beforehand that they are the types who would appreciate it. I know I always appreciate when I get home-canned food gifts from friends and family.

Back
Top Bottom