Anyone good with chicken genetics?

Mintatheena

Chirping
Sep 18, 2014
Orlando
I recently acquired an Araucana breeding pair, however, the female is only about 3 months old so no eggs from her yet hehe. I am aware of the lethal tuft gene, as the rooster is tufted and the female is not. I have 3 red star hens that lay exceptionally and I'm curious to know, as I penned one of my red star hens with the Araucana roo, will the rumpless and tufted genes pass on to the chicks? The reason why I'm gonna try and breed the two is because I want some olive eggers for my flock at home :) (Yes, I know olive eggers usually come from breeding Marans with Ameraucanas). I know that because Red Stars are a hybrid/sex-link chicken, that the chicks will not come out to be sex linked, but what I really want to know is if I'm going to have to worry about chicks dying inside of their shells and etc. since that is what happens when breeding araucanas. All of my chickens come from private breeders, and yes I am sure my Araucana's are not Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas.

The tufted gene is lethal only with two copies. Since your male only has one copy (it's alive) it has a fifty percent chance of passing it on to any young. Your females do not have the tufted gene so no young ones can receive a lethal two copies of the gene.

The rumpless gene is a dominant gene and is expressed with one or two copies. If your male has two copies of the rumpless gene then all of it's young will receive one copy of this gene from him, making them all rumples. If he only has one copy of the rumpless gene then each young one produced will have a fifty percent chance of receiving the gene from him. If they do they will be rumpless if they do not they will be tailed.

Thank you very much! Also, do you know how dominant the blue pigment gene for eggs are? In theory the chicks should lay green eggs but I'm not really sure how that would work out since the red stars lay light brown eggs and are a hybrid

The gene for blue egg shell is a dominant gene. It will be expressed with only one copy. You will get green eggs with the cross you are making. Do not expect them to be dark green however.

Back
Top Bottom