Anyone got a sprinter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spud395, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Spud395

Spud395 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    One of my "red laying hybrids"(is that a breed:lol:) whenever I go near the pen, she come running like a rocket, throw some treats in the far end of the run and she's allways first.

Is there any kind of chicken olympics or similar??

I reckon she'd put it up to Bolt;)

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Yes, I've got Biscuit the Rocket! They are so funnylooking when they run fast, aren't they!

3. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    We have an Appenzeller Spitzhauben that we call Road Runner. She is lean and fast as lightning!

4. RedStarDaddy

RedStarDaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    I have a dozen of them. They run and if they think they are going to get beat out to the goal (whether that goal be me, the scratch I just threw out, or the sunny spot in the yard) they fly. Just about the only thing they don't race each other for is the dust bath under the propane tank.

RSD

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  5. Beed

Beed Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2008
    Ft. Pierce, Florida
    Loretta will sprint just for the heck of it. Like she is playing. She will wipe out at a corner at times-hilarious.

6. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    my little bit is a road runner in disguise..she is a very small and lean rhode island red.. when i let them out to free range she zips all over the place..i wasn't sure she was normal.. all the other hens are chubby and walk lol. she hasn't laid her first egg yet so still waiting

7. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    we had one hen that we called FireEngine b/c she was red and FAST!

but right now i have a barred rock pullet named "Slim" that is about on my last nerve. you know how at recess when the bell rings there are two kinds of kids? the ones that run TOWARD the school to go in...and the kids that run AWAY trying to get that last few seconds of freedom? well Slim is the later variety. everynite its a chase...

for heavens sakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by