Will My Lap Chicken Ever Forgive Me?!

May 5, 2023
My sweet baby Rosemary is the best girl. She runs after me, hops up on my arm whenever I hold it out as a perch, and snuggles under my arm anytime she gets a chance. Or, she did. I had to start administering antibiotics a few days ago and she is now wary of me. I do it in the dark twice a day and it is a struggle. She will not take the pills with any treats (I tried everything , including crushing it up and cooking effs). One time, I had to do it in the middle of the day and she hasn't forgiven me since. She won't snuggle, won't take treats from my hand, and stays far away whenever I come near. I am heartbroken. Will she ever forgive me and be my little shadow again?

Attachments

• IMG_20231105_105847683.jpg
    IMG_20231105_105847683.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20231105_105908039.jpg
    IMG_20231105_105908039.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 11
It's hard to say if Rosemary will ever forgive you. I had two hens with bumblefoot over the winter; they had to be medicated and have foot wraps daily.

Valentina, a Columbian Wyandotte who used to literally jump on my head, now acts as if the touch of my hand will kill her. Bronwyn, a Speckled Sussex, has completely forgiven me and is back to wanting to be my best "helper," despite mostly being in my way and not at all helpful.

If only Rosemary could understand that you are taking care of her. Best wishes that she will again trust and adore you!

My sweet baby Rosemary is the best girl. She runs after me, hops up on my arm whenever I hold it out as a perch, and snuggles under my arm anytime she gets a chance. Or, she did. I had to start administering antibiotics a few days ago and she is now wary of me. I do it in the dark twice a day and it is a struggle. She will not take the pills with any treats (I tried everything , including crushing it up and cooking effs). One time, I had to do it in the middle of the day and she hasn't forgiven me since. She won't snuggle, won't take treats from my hand, and stays far away whenever I come near. I am heartbroken. Will she ever forgive me and be my little shadow again?
So sorry! I do wish we could explain to our beloved creatures that we are helping them! Hopefully, in time she will. Perhaps just be patient and don't force her? Leave lots of treats for her when she is watching? Maybe sit and read a book while pretending to not pay attention. Perhaps she will get curious and eventually come near?

I need to give one of my pullets calcium pills. They are HUGE pills, but if you can get one in a chicken's beak, they can swallow it. Gently pulling down on the wattles will get them to open their beak.

I did that with little Pip, and she thrashed so much I couldn't get the pill in. Then she avoided me.

I took to cutting the pills into 4 bits, putting some peanut butter on them, and she eventually took them and liked them. So did everyone else.

This is what I do now:
I cut the pills into half, and put each half into a blueberry. The calcium pills soften, so they aren't nearly as difficult to get down. I put "her" blueberries in one small dish, and berries for everyone else in another. I give Pip one berry, and toss a berry out for everyone to run after. Pip knows she is going to get berries handed to her, so she comes back right away, and I give her another one.

Repeat until Pip gets all her pills.

Update: Rosemary is back to her old self! It turns out the antibiotic she was on was making her sick. The vet had me stop that prescription and she bounced back almost immediately. It's been a few weeks out now and she's back to being my little shadow and demanding snuggles every day. :)

Back
Top Bottom