Elspeth Dinsmore

Songster
Mar 25, 2024
Hobbiton
Howdy! This is my first post on Backyard Chickens. I am a first time chicken keeper. I've learned a lot from other threads on this site. However, I haven't found an answer to my particular problem.
I mail-ordered chicks (from Chickens for Backyards) back in July of 2023: three Buff Orpingtons, three Lavender Orpingtons, three Speckled Sussex (one is a rooster), and three Salmon Faverolles. Their names are Maisie, Leeli, Sadie, Elsie, Janie, Minnie, Brynn, Molly, Brie, Mari, Debbi, and the rooster Alek. Yes, I know Brynn doesn't rhyme with the others. She was supposed to rhyme with Lynn but he ended up being the rooster. 😆
My chickens are suuuper sweet. They veeery rarely ever pick at each other. They all are very good friends and love to be together. They also absolutely love hugs. Even my rooster hops up on my lap to get hugs anytime I sit down. We have a little couch in the aviary and, if I sit down, at least five or six will hop up on my lap or snuggle next to me.
They don't free-range because of so many predators in our area (we have a resident hawk named Pippin), but they have 400 square feet of space total (not counting the coop): 100 sq. ft. enclosed run with a tunnel to a 300 sq. ft. netted aviary.
We get about 7-10 eggs per day. They are clean and regularly shaped.
They always have access to good healthy food, water (sometimes with acv or an oregano mix), oyster shells, alfalfa pellets, etc. They have a dust bath of peat moss, diatomaceous earth (don't come at me for it), homegrown sage (when I have it), and sulfur. Admittedly, I think I ran out of sulfur or just didn't add enough right before the symptoms I'm about to explain occurred.
They had all been in good health -- with beautiful feathers.
-Feather Loss-
March 2nd
: I suddenly noticed my SS, Brynn, had lost all her bum feathers. Her skin was very flaky and red. I cried cause I thought maybe she was dying. I did as much research as I could but it just scared me more. We did everything we could to help her. She got a good bath and hen-healer lathered on the area. In the morning, the skin looked very healthy and wasn't red at all.
March 3rd: I took her over to my neighbor to see what she thought. She was super helpful and almost positive it was feather mites/lice (Phew! She wasn't dying like I thought.) We checked the other hens out to see if it had spread to them. My rooster, Alek, had lost some bum feathers as well and his skin was bright red (it didn't calm down from a bath). We cleaned the coop and run from top to bottom and treated everything we could with Gordon's Permithrin -- 1:200 dilution. We sprayed the hens that day with a Pyrethrin spray that we ended up realizing had expired a long time ago. It was given to us by someone else, and we hadn't checked the exp. date.
March 5th: We sprayed them with Gordon's Permithrin. The affected chickens got epsom salt baths every night when the skin flared up red. They got blow-dried. Then we applied hen-healer to their bums.
March 15th: I noticed Elsie, Janie, Minnie, and Maisie had started to lose back feathers. The Lavs had lost the whole feathers, whereas the Buff had lots of broken feathers and a couple bare spots in addition. I didn't really know, but I assumed this may be from mating? To be safe, we treated them again ten days after first use of the Permithrin.
March 21st: We hoped everything was alright but then I noticed my other SS, Molly, started losing bum feathers as well. We treated once again (each time was a freshly mixed solution), seven or eight days after the previous treatment.
I have noticed all along that around the bare areas, there is a lot of flaky skin. The skin isn't red at all, but it's peeling. We spray blu kote on the bare areas. They are all eating and drinking well.

-Poopy Feathers-
Their poops are normal (to the best of my knowledge) -- maybe a little watery occasionally (I'm also assuming this is cecal poo.) The dropping board usually has well formed poos. Their vents looks okay. I did noticed that two hen's vents were ever so slightly wet with something sort of yellow. But it really was barely anything. I don't know if that's normal or not. Poo keeps sticking to their bum feathers and caking on (especially Brynn back when she had bum feathers). I trimmed them a while back (which is part of why I didn't notice Brynn losing feathers) and it lasted about a month before they got covered in poo again. The dirty feathers also tend to drop out or just remain as a bare shaft. I have no reason to think it is a feed issue; They eat very healthy.

So all this to say, should I be concerned about mites or lice still being present? Is it even mites or lice? None of the tests I have done that people suggest have shown proof of mites. Is the flaky skin from lice or is it another issue? Is the poo sticking to feathers something I need to be worried about? I don't know anything about worms, but they didn't seem to have any other symptoms. I am going to try and do my own fecal test soon to see if there are any worm eggs present.
I haven't noticed any lethargy or other symptoms mentioned in regards to mites, lice, or worms.

If you have made it through this lengthy post, I thank you. I love my chickens so much and I want to do my best to take care of them. I would appreciate advice from some experienced chicken keepers. Thank you again.

-- Elspeth
Soli Deo Gloria
GridArt_20240325_163306473.jpg
GridArt_20240325_163613072.jpg
GridArt_20240325_172235719.jpg
GridArt_20240325_172641462.jpg
GridArt_20240325_173112836.jpg
GridArt_20240325_172906295.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240325_183423077.jpg
    PXL_20240325_183423077.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Welcome to the BYC community @Elspeth Dinsmore :frow

After reading your story and looking at the pictures I think there might be some feather picking going on in your flock.

How much protein does your feed provide? Could you post some more pictures of your run? Aviary and run seem to be rather bare so the birds will get bored easily.
Try to add some interest like big tree stems and branches to jump up on, bushes to hide under etc.

Lavender plumage tends to break more easily as the feathers are more brittle (genetics), so the bare back might just stem from mating.

Is there a hen that still has perfect plumage? If so, she probably is the one pecking the others.

You can install a coop and run camera to watch their behaviour.

Last edited:
Hello, @LaFleche ! Thank you so much for the quick response and willingness to read my lengthy post. I hadn't realized the Lavender's feathers could break easier than the others. Thank you for that information! I knew that they had the tail shedder gene cause it was always messy, but I don't really know much about that.

Here are their two feeds:
Big Sky Organic Feed (min 16% protein) is free choice in the run.
Don Roberto Grain Feed (19.5% protein) is fermented and given daily.
We top dress it with kelp and brewers yeast. We also add some whole oats and flax seed. We noticed when we did this that it helped their poo became firmer.

I haven't really observed much pecking from them although something could be happening when I'm not present. Is there a specific camera that you use I could look into? We wanted to get one, but I hadn't gotten a chance to look into it yet.

There is about 5 inches of leaves on the floor of the aviary they constantly dig in; We spread black oil sunflower seeds and millet around and they find the sprouts. They normally seem to be pretty occupied.
We have five perching bars in the run and aviary (with two additional in the coop). They have a ladder in addition to this that they can climb. They have four stumps, two platforms, a tunnel, a dust bath, and two mirrors. These things get re-arranged every so often to make it more interesting for them. We used to have a giant xylophone in there but they didn't seem to understand what it was. Maybe I can put it back in there for them to try again? I could also try to add more stumps. They had some large branches in there too, but in some of my cleanings, I took them out and didn't put them back. My dad is gonna try to build them a tree with perching bars on it soon for the aviary.

There are two hens, Sadie (the biggest) and Leeli (one of the smallest), that haven't had problems with losing feathers. But they have some of the scaly skin/dandruff type stuff at the base of the feathers. Sadie and Leeli don't allow Alek to mate with them, so that's also possibly why they haven't lost feathers.
Thank you for taking the time to try and help me! It is much appreciated! Photos are down below. :)

-- Elspeth
Soli Deo Gloria

Attachments

• PXL_20231024_151938994.jpg
    PXL_20231024_151938994.jpg
    1,000.8 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20240326_214440010_1.jpg
    PXL_20240326_214440010_1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20240326_214608906_1.jpg
    PXL_20240326_214608906_1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Maisie looks like rooster wear. The bare bums on the others, that could be feather picking.

The flock has access to the "aviary" during all daylight hours? What is in the aviary other than open space? It's hard to see in the photo, but I'm mainly looking for clutter or other things to keep them busy and to provide some cover if birds are bullying each other.

Maisie looks like rooster wear. The bare bums on the others, that could be feather picking.

The flock has access to the "aviary" during all daylight hours? What is in the aviary other than open space? It's hard to see in the photo, but I'm mainly looking for clutter or other things to keep them busy and to provide some cover if birds are bullying each other.

Thank you for your quick response and advice! I'll add more activities for the chickens to play with. I open up the tunnel from run to aviary in the mornings. They like to travel back and forth between the two. I appreciate experienced chicken keepers giving me their advice.

Thank you for the new pictures that provide more insight.
The aviary appears rather bare, some shrubs would provide shade and resting areas for your chickens.

The additional DE and sulfur in their dust bath will dry out the skin. So maybe refrain from adding too much too often.

Thank you for the new pictures that provide more insight.
The aviary appears rather bare, some shrubs would provide shade and resting areas for your chickens.

The additional DE and sulfur in their dust bath will dry out the skin. So maybe refrain from adding too much too often.

Thank you so much for your advice! I will try to be careful about the ratio of DE and sulfur.

Thank you for the link as well! I will look through that thread and incorporate any things I think would work for our flock. :)
--Elspeth
Soli Deo Gloria

@LaFleche, @rosemarythyme, & @aart
My family worked to add more things into the aviary so it isn't as bare. We haven't finished yet, but I wanted to show you all that we took what you said and are working to apply it. ☺️

Attachments

• PXL_20240328_201312542.PORTRAIT_1.jpg
    PXL_20240328_201312542.PORTRAIT_1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240328_211145769.PORTRAIT_1.jpg
    PXL_20240328_211145769.PORTRAIT_1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20240328_211009986_1.jpg
    PXL_20240328_211009986_1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20240328_205904838_1.jpg
    PXL_20240328_205904838_1.jpg